Sign in to follow this  
Vegasmailman

TOAD Set Up Cost

Going to need another tow vehicle pretty soon. Previous MH had it included in sale.

But was wondering what sort of cost I can expect on setting up a vehicle for flat towing. I am aware of making sure it can be towed.

Thank you

I just had to replace my toad as it was totaled courtesy of unlicensed and uninsured 18 year old illegal with CA ID Card. Fortunately my insurance covered some cost for my vehicle. I am still in process of doing the conversion to my Frontier. There are two primary tow bar sources to choose from; Blue Ox and RoadMaster. Then it is a matter of selection. Then there are two different braking systems for the toad that go under the hood; SMI Air Force One (Air) and SMI Duo Vacuum Assisted. I found the prices thru E-Bay and Amazon.com offered a great savings over getting tow bars, Brackets and braking system from a RV/Truck Dealer/Manufacturer. I prefer coated coiled safety cables over chain cause of weight and rust. Wiring cable is also coil cable with plug that matches the RV. Tow Bar w/brackets can be $1,200 +/- and the braking system about $1,600.00 installed. I expect to stay within my budget of $3K.

Don't overlook the Ready Brake Brute combo tow bar and brake system. Excellent tow bar and very simple brake system, takes less that 5 minuets to hook up once everything is installed. Once the hardware is installed nothing to put in or take out each time. I do use a Blue Ox base plate. Entire system for my 2015 Jeep Rubicon was less than 1300 dollars and I installed it myself. The Ready Rake has a light on the dash of the motorhome that lets you know when the toad brakes are applied. Got mine from Amazon.

Just installed Blue Ox base plate, lights setup, battery charge setup and breakaway switch installed on my 2014 Ford Edge by Cummons. With Michigan tax included it was $1327. Tow bars and brake controller will be extra.

Greetings,

I'm new to this forum but not the RV lifestyle (6 years and still rolling). If anyone knows of any TOADs for sale (Blue Ox preferably), I would appreciate a reply to this post. My wife and reside in Manassas, VA and we're looking for a Jeep (Liberty, Wrangler etc) or Honda CRV already rigged and ready to roll. Thanks!

I have heard of things being expensive in CA...That's downright ridiculous!  What's your toad?

7 hours ago, Thess3rd said:

I just left an RV repair shop and was quoted $6,500 for Roadmaster and install. San Jose, Califoria.

RUN Forest RUN. 

Bill

The equipment will cost you about $2,500.  That means they are charging you about $4,000 for labor.  

I needed the plate and wiring done to be able to pull my Smart Car, had the tow bar etc and it cost me almost $2000, they had to take the front of the car off to get the plate done right and hidden.