mh3860sh

House Batteries

Just bought a 2008 Monaco Monarch 33sfs.

The house batteries are bulged below the battery posts/the casing is bulged upward, so I'm thinking I need new batteries.

Any suggestions on reliable replacements?

Hitting the road this summer(fulltiming) and want to eliminate any potential problems.

Thanks.

mh3860sh,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Much of the answer depends on how you will be using the coach. If you will just be in CG's with shore power, you can cut back on the money you spend on batteries (both number of batteries and technology).

The more you dry camp and therefore depend on your batteries, the more your choice can make a difference.

Another factor is ease of access to the batteries to check them and add water. If difficult, AGM's or automatic battery watering system go higher on the list.

If I need to replace batteries on our coach I will probably spend the extra dollars on the AGMs that Brett mentioned. No corrosion and longer life . They weigh about the same and if you use 12volt house batteries the are available in AGM type also.

Welcome to the forum......we've found that Sam's Club has very competitive prices on batteries. I purchase all of our batteries there (tractor, mowers, MH, motorcycle, car, truck-----and flashlights :) ).

Blake

Bite the bullet and get the AGMs. Truly a set up and forget battery, plus no bad gases. Just be sure your charger is set up for AGMs.

No first hand experience with Optima AGM's, but have used Lifeline AGM's.

AGM's are move expensive to buy, have longer life, are maintenance free and recharge faster compared with wet cell golf cart batteries.

BTW, there is a range of qualities of golf cart batteries as well-- they are NOT all the same).

I have given this some thought. Anyone running AGM house batteries? My experience with these was only in the chassis side and was very limited to meetings complaining about the performance. The issue my old employer had was AGM batteries discharge in stages not like a wet cell, and they experienced over temp issues during charging. They experimented with several different manufactures and those were the complaints. One in particular was when they would discharge in steps in stead of gradually. We had starters that would not respond with 11.5 volts on a DVOM, where a wet cell would crank slow and you might have some hope, the AGM left you stranded. As I said I have no personal experience with them. I have been considering switching when it's time and just wanted to hear real world experience in a house battery sitiuation.

Have run AGM's on three different sailboats. Probably the toughest duty, as shore power if VERY rare and battery performance can be critical at times (end of three day offshore passage where you have to start the engine to go into a constricted port, for example). Never experienced the conditions you describe. BUT (ya, big BUT) the batteries were never abused!

I have given this some thought. Anyone running AGM house batteries? My experience with these was only in the chassis side and was very limited to meetings complaining about the performance. The issue my old employer had was AGM batteries discharge in stages not like a wet cell, and they experienced over temp issues during charging. They experimented with several different manufactures and those were the complaints. One in particular was when they would discharge in steps in stead of gradually. We had starters that would not respond with 11.5 volts on a DVOM, where a wet cell would crank slow and you might have some hope, the AGM left you stranded. As I said I have no personal experience with them. I have been considering switching when it's time and just wanted to hear real world experience in a house battery sitiuation.

I am running 6 AGM golf cart batteries with 600 watt solar on the roof. It will charge with full sun at about 40 amps. My charge controller is a 3 stage charger same as my 3000 watt Xantrex inverter/charger.

I too have AGM coach batteries. No problems yet...second coach with them. However, you must have the correct charger. Re Brett and his boats, in my last sailboat, a Catalina 320, I had two 4D 12v wet cell. They were "okay" but lots more trouble than the AGMs.

Just bought a 2008 Monaco Monarch 33sfs.

The house batteries are bulged below the battery posts/the casing is bulged upward, so I'm thinking I need new batteries.

Any suggestions on reliable replacements?

Hitting the road this summer(fulltiming) and want to eliminate any potential problems.

Thanks.

Regarding your thought process, yes, it is time to replace them. You are very close to the case cracking after they bulge. If you can do it safely, disconnect them and take them out soon.

Ok, thanks guys. I was hoping for some real world experience. Hopefully the Intestate wet cells I have now (4, 6volts) will give me a few more years.

Trojan batteries are at the upper end of wet cell batteries with the T105 and taller T125's enjoying a good reputation. I do not know anything either way about their AGM batteries.

I have been considering AGMs for my house batteries, but have a question:

Both the house and chassis batteries are on the same charger.  If I change the house to AGM, and set the charger to AGM, what happens to the wet cell chassis batteries?  In cases like this, is it necessary to change both house and chassis to AGMs?