trishw

Ice Makers

In the market for an ice maker for my Newmar Dutch Star (vs the one in the freezer) would like to know what models you have had great success with?

Countertop or built-in?

Very inexpensive ($90) Igloo ice machine for sale at Walmart. Nine ice "cubes" every eight minutes once it gets going (about 15 minutes). Countertop model. Burgandy or silver. Plug in, add water, turn on. Can't get much simpler than that!

We have a U-line in our coach but this Igloo is much simpler, no hassle winterizing (we take it in & use it in the house), and a whole lot cheaper than a U-line. AND, if it goes to pot, you aren't out a whole bunch of $$.

It can be setup outside where you have people congregating so no traipsing inside for ice.

Just looking for a countertop model :)

Not sure I know the difference between an Ice Machine and an Ice Maker :) But the link you provided is to something that is way overkill for my RV needs

The guts of all of the counter top ice makers appear to be made by the same factory in China with cosmetic differences as requested by the companies they private label them for.

So I would buy on price and any features - if there are any - that you like.

Be aware that they do not keep the ice frozen. As it melts it makes another batch. We kept a bin in our RV freezer full of the ice so the ice was a lot colder than freezing as it is when it comes out of the ice maker. The ice lasts longer in a drink that way.

Can't attest to ClayL's statement about not keeping the ice frozen. But, our Igloo ice maker kept making ice until it filled the catch basket and then shut off. There was still water in the supply reservoir. The "cubes" were still frozen. (I put the word cubes in quote marks because the cubes are actually formed on nine metal posts until the ice is about 3/4" in diameter. Then the chiller shuts off long enough for the ice to drop off. Shape is like an oversize eraser you put on a pencil with the OEM eraser worn off)

The DW emptied the catch basket into a zip top bag and put the bag in our refrigerator freezer and then turned the ice maker back on.

Bill. So does mine. I run it until basket is full, then turn off water flow....takes about 3 days before I turn water back on.

Their fridge may be a "Nocold"!

Carl

Bill. So does mine. I run it until basket is full, then turn off water flow....takes about 3 days before I turn water back on.

Their fridge may be a "Nocold"!

Carl

I have a Norcold and no problem making ice even traveling down the road. I prefer a fridge that is easy on batteries when dry camping.