cherylmorton

Washington DC RV Park/Visit

Question

Where to stay in RV parks in DC area?  Finding closest is 70 miles out with long commute.  Any suggestions?

I have found a La Quinta in Capitol Heights that will let us park RV in there lot while we stay in hotel.  Is that

a safe area?

5 answers to this question

Cheryl, I second Bills recommendation above. We stayed at Cherry Hill also. We didn't do the Vip tour, just added it to my bucket list, thanks Bill. We rode the Metro (DC area public transportation) they have a bus stop in the campground, the campground will tell you everything you need to know so you can ride public transportation around, we did it and had a great time! We liked that campground so much i wouldn't consider another when we do it again. We also never felt like we were in a bad area for our safety, at the time my kids were 10 and 12. 

I have a question, why the hotel stay?

Welcome to the forum.

Hands down the best place to stay is Cherry Hill Park, 9800 Cherry Hill Rd, College Park, MD 20740, cherryhillpark.com, (301) 937-7116

We have stayed there a couple of times. Great location with access to the Metro. One thing is the lady who sells the tours does a seminar on how to use the Metro Line. Washington DC's Metro system is a great way to get to hundreds of popular locations and attractions in and around Washington DC. Metro's six lines and 91 stations are located in Washington DC and neighboring Virginia and Maryland. We rode it all the way to Arlington.

Are you doing the Monument tour?

Bill

We've requested tours of White House, Congress, & Capitol, from congressman but no definite times yet.  Planning to see the Washington and Lincoln Monuments for sure.  How long was the commute from Cherry Hill?

28 minutes ago, cherylmorton said:

We've requested tours of White House, Congress, & Capitol, from congressman but no definite times yet.  Planning to see the Washington and Lincoln Monuments for sure.  How long was the commute from Cherry Hill?

If you can get your congressman to get you scheduled on the Monument Tour through the Department of Interior. Best one I have ben on. This is a VIP tour. They give you your own park ranger and a Government van. For example, when we got to the Washington Monument, there was no parking so the ranger pulls up on the sidewalk and says "lets go" Your car would last about long enough to get half way to the monument before it was towed. Wen we got inside the line at the elevators was about 75 people long. Our Ranger told the Ranger operating the elevator "This is a VIP tour" We went up next.

I don't remember how long it took as all commuting was done on the Metro as there is no parking in DC. I think it took about 15-20 min after you get on the train depending on where you are going. That was what was so good about the little training seminar it informed you what stop you wanted to use for what attraction. It will take longer if you have to change trains but not to bad.

Bill 

Cherry Hill is a really great place to stay to see DC. There are a few others to the south of DC that are better for visiting Mt Vernon. Not as nice as CH, but OK. Duncan Family CG in MD is OK. We used it solely as a base and did not use any amenities.
The DC Metro is incredible for getting around. There are also a number of tour companies that will take you around DC by bus and guide you along, especially nice at night.