tjb201

Surge Guard 41260 Transfer SwitchThumping

Our transfer switch has begun thumping when I try and put a load on our 50 amp service.  Initially it happened only when I ran the heat pump, but yesterday it happened after I turned on the electric water heater.  Nothing else was running that would take a big draw, just the refrigerator and two computers. 

We have had this problem over the last 3 weeks and at 3 campsites.  We are staying at a Volunteer Village at a Corps of Engineer lake and no no one else in the Village has had an electrical issue (including the folks that were previously in the site).  I have a Progressive Industries EMS HW50C in front of the transfer switch and it reads 117 and 122 in lines 1 and 2.  It has not tripped and it is much more sensitive than the transfer switch.

Has anyone had this experience?

Tim

Tim, I looked for some information on your coach and could only find units that are 30 to 32 ft. and not the Open Road series.

You could contact Tiffin at 1-256-356-8661 there main number or 256-356-0261 for parts and service.

No 800 number listed !

Might ask them what the ATS part number is and if they have had problems that match you issue.

Rich.

Unfortunately sounds like your transfer switch is bad.  We had to replace ours that acted like that last May.

Check out Camping World for a possible replacement.

Bill

Monaco Knight 36 PFT

Tim.  Call Tiffin with your Vin# first!

Rich.  On the "Newer" models, Open Road is a Allegro, Allegro is open road.  If you search under Allegro, you get all the lengths and floor plans!  Search under Open Road and you get nothing...I just played that game in Perry...figured you was to busy trying to get your Computer RV life back!

Carl

Mine always "thumps" when I plug it in.  

I don't have a Progressive transfer switch which I though had a pretty good reputation.  I would call the manufacturer.  

jeff

Yes, you should get the "thump" when plugging into shore power, but ONLY then.  Putting a load on it should NOT cause the relay to pull in again.

Before replacing, check connections at ATS and at EMS.  A bad connection between them could still show good voltage at the EMS, but not at the ATS.

When this happens, what are voltage readings IN THE COACH (like a wall outlet)?

If the EMS HW50C isn't showing a error code then the incoming power is OK.  The unit will only thump when turning on.  If it was thumping it has to have lost power then regain power.  Again it would show a code.  Must be the transfer switch itself. Try running the generator and see if it still does it when you add load.   Let us know the results.   

Update, called Tiffin and sure enough, mine was considered on the list of potentially faulty units (based on manf period) and they will ship me a new one.  I really hope this is it!  I will keep everyone posted on this one when it is finally settled.  This is why I own a Tiffin and will put them on the top of my list when I upgrade.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the update. Lots of problems have been solved that we never know about or what cured the problem.

You are correct, Tiffin is an upstanding company and once again Bob proved that in Perry. Thank you Bob for demonstrating what real customer service is all about.

Herman

23 hours ago, tjb201 said:

Update, called Tiffin and sure enough, mine was considered on the list of potentially faulty units (based on manf period) and they will ship me a new one.  I really hope this is it!  I will keep everyone posted on this one when it is finally settled.  This is why I own a Tiffin and will put them on the top of my list when I upgrade.

Tim

If you are going to install this yourself, make sure you take pictures of wiring before and after before adding power to it.  One wire in the wrong terminal can let the smoke out of many component in your coach.  

First of all, thanks everyone for your guidance, MUCH appreciated!

The unit Tiffin sent was not a replacement Surge Guard Model 41260. but rather what appears to be strictly a transfer switch, a Intellitec Transfer Relay Delay 00-00803-400 Dual Input Genset.

Since I had already installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C in front of the old transfer switch and am more comfortable with that unit managing the electrical anomalies that may occur, I think I am more than fine with what they sent me if it is a more reliable transfer switch unit vs. the SG Model 41260.  http://rvpowerpartsplus.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=367

Can anyone give me their thoughts and/or experiences?  I am getting help installing the unit, and we will DEFINITELY take pictures before we begin the process.

Thanks,

Tim

Had the same problem with the thumping. I am connected to a 50 AMP service (which as you may know services two separate 110/120 circuits within the motor home). I never had this issue until very recently. I have a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Red that uses a SurgeGuard 41260 transfer switch. I have two furnaces on the roof. One over the bedroom and one over the living area. The problem occurred when the furnace over the living area turned on. No problem with the bedroom furnace. 

I suspected the electrical pedestal my shore line is connected to, so I notified the campground. The fella they sent tested the circuits and found that one of the circuits was normal at 113 volts. The other circuit was running at 133 volts (too high!). He tightened the screw that fastens the aluminum RETURN wire ( which loses thickness over time) and checked the voltage again. This time the voltages read 120 and 125. I haven't had a problem since. Maybe this information will help somebody. 

5 hours ago, redtiffin said:

I have two furnaces on the roof. One over the bedroom and one over the living area. The problem occurred when the furnace over the living area turned on. No problem with the bedroom furnace.

Welcome to the forum. Glad they were able to fix the problem. Just so you know those aren't realey furnaces on the roof. Those are your heat pump/air conditioners. When they are producing heat inside they are realey working in reverse. They are cooling the outside and dumping the waste heat inside. They will only work down to about 40 deg. outside temp. On my last coach it would automatically switch to the propane furnaces for heat if the outside temps got to low.   

Bill

A lot off good things about Bounder never makes it to Forums...I don't have the heat transfer to my furnace, from heat pump...all I get is cold air until I shut it off and turn on Oasis!  So much for a million dollar coach. :(

redtiffin.  Welcome to the Forum! 🎅 

113/133 will make the ATS go on/off until its fixed.  :)

It one time my voltage read, 88/156 volts. What I found was my power cable had a burnt blade in it. I replaced both ends and am now very cautious on making sure the breaker is off before I plug in and disconnect. Haven't had that problem since.

Just to remind you this Topic hadn't had a posting in 4 years (April 15, 2016 Tax Day). :o:rolleyes:

Herman