wigginsjsr

Burned prong on 50 amp plug

I have noticed a "slightly" burned prong on my 50 amp plug.  The prong has some discoloration, and one spot where there seems to have been an arc.  Is it acceptable to clean and sand that prong, or is it necessary to replace the plug?  Also, if there a risk of the wire going to that prong being ruined?  BTW, everything works fine, and I don't know of any electrical problems.  I suspect the arc is the result of a bad socket at some campground.  I have a progressive power monitor installed, and it has not generated any power errors.

Cleaning the contacts will work just fine ! The cause is connection or disconnecting the shore cable to the riser before turning off the power breaker(s) or turning off all the system loads(AC units) are the main load(s)..

The ATS relay contacts can also be damaged by equipment left on and you can cause damage to the generator circuit breaks when equipment is not power off before connecting to a large load.

Rich.  

To add to what Rich said, if there are signs of overheating (melting) yes, it is quite possible that the prong to wire connection is compromised.

Keep  close eye on the shore power end-- if more signs of overheating, replace the whole end.

And, as already said, NEVER plug in or unplug the shore power cord with the GC breaker ON. CG breaker is ALWAYS off when you plug in or unplug.

Everyone of us are out and about our coaches daily. It doesn't hurt to check your cable ever so often. I do this to check the plug and cable for excess heat. Especially when adapting for to 30 amp.

Herman 

So many times when hooking up I find that the breaker is on. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who turns the breaker off before disconnecting.

WigginJSR, Use a volt/ohm meter (Multimeter or Circuit Tester) and set it for 120v.  Attach the black (ground) probe to an Earth Ground (water faucet will do). Touch the red probe to several different areas of the MH.  If there is a reading of any kind you have a current leakage and a dangerous situation.  Get it taken care of. 

Guess I am a good Boy Scout. Always turn the breaker off when unhooking. Always make sure that the park breaker is off before hooking my portable Progressive Industries unit up, attach the RV cord to it and then power up. Got a Merit badge for doing so.

I will give you a "Pat" on head!  If I carry my PI, witch I normally don't, I connect it first, turn CG CB on and wait until I have nothing but green lights, then I'll connect coach.  I only carry PI when going to FMCA Convention and I have to use a 30A. CB that is rigged to a massive generator...I have had reverse polarity before!  My coach does have a built in system!

The progressive unit has a time delay. If there is a problem, it will not power the coach, at least that is the way that I understand it. We don't usually stay at questionable parks. We have run the same route to get to Colorado over the years many times so we know where to stay. If it looks dumpy, keep going if you can.?

My TRC has a delay before sending power to the coach also. I use my power pal first then plug the TRC in and connect to the coach. When done I alway flip the breakers off after I go through the interior and shut the AC off.

ObedB next time we meet up remind me to tell you the story of a CG I left in GA. Through the bushes cross the creek to the highway in our C. :blink::lol: To get out when I got spooked