Gary-Val

Moab, Utah, area

We're planning on spending a week or so in the Moab area the end of April 2010. I've got a 36-foot Class A motorhome with a toad. Aside from Internet searches, I'd like to know if any of you have been to Moab; what should we stay away from or seek out? What might be the best place to stay? I appreciate your experience and want to learn from it.

Thanks, Gary

We were there in 2007 and stayed at Portal RV Resort. The place was very nice, plenty of space for our rig and toad. We paid $32 a night, you might get better rates for a week. Arches National Park is just a few minutes drive away. Canyonlands National Park is a little further away but easy to get to. If you've got a 4WD you might enjoy the White Rim Drive in Canyonlands, depending on the condition of the road that time of year. We loved the drive from I-70 SW to Moab on Hwy 128. It is slow but beautiful. Your weather in April is likely to be cool. The elevation at Moab is 4000+ feet. We were only there for a few days to see these two national parks so didn't explore much of the town.

Hi Gary,

Stay away from Arch View RV Park & Campground. We were their earlier this year. The CG physical plant is like any other desert CG. The big problem is they have only 1200 AMPs of incoming electric (that I could find). We had severe power problems. When we were there the CG was about 25% occupied. There are no plans to increase the CGs power.

Gary,

Don't know if you are watching this thread or not anymore as it has been a while but we have been to Moab 3 years running. First year we stayed at Canyonlands RV park in town, 2nd year at a place on the south end of town by the stables, can't remember the name but it was horrid. Third year we went back to Canyonlands and will only stay there in the future. Lots of bigger rigs in there and we actually met some really nice folks from Florida there that were FMCA members and prompted us to join.

If you haven't made reservations by now it may be too late. Don't go around Easter time as the Easter Jeep Safari is in town and it is a madhouse (unless that is what you are going for). We do our Jeepn' in September or early October down there. Spring and Fall are the most popular times to go as the temps are still comfortable and the heat of summer isn't a factor.

Way to much to see and do in just a week and you may find yourself wanting to go back again. As I said we have been down 3 times now and plan on many more trips in the future.

Have a great trip.