rwitt

Problem with 12V Light

I have a 08 Monaco Camelot.  One set of 4 recessed 12V lights in kitchen are having problems.  I pulled all 4 and checked connections a volt meter shows everything normal.  A couple of them were blinking and eventually the bulb would go out.  They worked for a couple of months after that and then one of the bulbs went out again, but not blinking first.  I replaced the bulb and the next day it was out.  Meter still reads good.  Any ideas????

rwitt, Are you using incandescent bulbs or LED's . Just wondering, but my first thought is the small spring connection that keeps pressure on the center connection of the bulb.

If the lamps are halogen stile, then there could be some carbon build up in the socket. They can be cleaned with a small emery board, like the ones user to file finger nails. 

Rich.

The bulbs are #1383 Miniature Reflector Light Bulbs, 20-Watt 13V BA15S Lamps

Ray, think your on the right track. This type of lamp does generate a fair amount of heat and I have to think that the heat over time and the type of socket used with a spring type of center contact looses some of the intended tension over time. due to the heat they are exposed to over time.

Rich.

2 hours ago, rwitt said:

The bulbs are #1383 Miniature Reflector Light Bulbs, 20-Watt 13V BA15S Lamps

You might try replacing a couple of the sockets and see if the lights with new sockets work better then the ones you have not changed out.

You might just try to bend the center contact to increase the contact pressure, but if the spring tension drops due to the spring characteristics being altered do to temperature you should be able to tell with in a short period of time.

Rich.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have 12 of these lights and the only one giving me problems is one of the 4 on the same switch.  I'll pull the socket and check the spring.  Any other possibilities?

21 hours ago, rwitt said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have 12 of these lights and the only one giving me problems is one of the 4 on the same switch.  I'll pull the socket and check the spring.  Any other possibilities?

rwitt, Sure sounds like the socket ! The other 3 work. you mentioned that you are reading 12 volts at the socket causing the problem.

The only other item could be a wire connection to that troubling socket, but you keep reading 12 volts. So the only other item that I can think of is a cold solder connection that comes and goes depending on temperature and just enough pressure from the meter probes to mask it. 

A cold solder joint is the only item that I can think of that offers a possibility other then the center contact of the socket. The Ground connection would be soldered to the outside portion of the socket and bad solder can cause the issue. I kind of hate intermittent problems. They put me into the mindset of what am I missing! How hard can it be to fix, its only 2 wires going to a bulb for peat shakes. LOL

Rich.

http://www.cabinbright.com/x-factor-fluorescent-tube-replacements/

I installed led these throughout my entire interior. You only need one per fixture (removing both tubes and replace with one LED).

photos in this link

fantastic company to deal with, great customer service. I met the owner at an RV show a few years ago, nice guy.

Although I don't know the brand of the socket, 12 volt sockets normally used in MH are pretty famous getting too warm due to lot's of on time so that the center pin of the socket deteriorates in some manner.  The wafer that the spring works against often warp, or break or.... due to the heat and then you have an intermittent connection.  I suspect if you pull this one fixture and socket for checking you will find your problem pretty quickly.

Bob inTX