tmoning

Unread Content - How to Go to First Unread Post

Clicking on Unread Content produces a list of unread content topic titles. Clicking on one of the entries, however, takes you to the first post on the first page, rather than the first unread post on that thread.

To "Go to first unread post," you must click the dot next to each topic title within a forum, as highlighted in this image:

unread-content-dots.png

Clicking the dot is not all that intuitive, and trying to tap it on a mobile device is frustrating. When using a smartphone, it's easy to miss the dot and click the topic title, which will take you to first post rather than to the first unread post. Whether or not you're using a mobile device or a PC, I doubt if you want to scroll through all of the posts that you've already read, especially in a large topic.

Instead of altering the template or changing some styles so the dot stands out more, I've opted to wait for a better solution from the software provider. So if you want to go to the first new post in Unread Content, for now you'll have to click the dot.

Activity Streams
If you're further interested in filtering and sorting content for easy discovery of what is being posted, you might want to set up your own custom  Activity Stream. Here's how ...

Click on My Activity Streams (it's under "Activity"), and then "Create New Stream."

Name your stream anything you want, such as My New Content.

Under "Read Status, choose "Content I haven't read."

Click "Save Changes."

You will see your content stream title under Activity Streams / My Activity Streams. On youre Activity Stream page, you'll see options in a wide series of drop down boxes that allow you to edit and then save to update your Stream.

If your stream is filtering by unread, then clicking the title should take you to unread. I say should because there have been some bugs with this, and I'm not sure the provider has fixed them.

I can not remember all of these points why so many changes all at once. A little here and a little there probably better for most of us...

B