DWAYNECHERAMIE

Towing 20ft Car Hauler

Will start towing 20 ft enclosed car hauler w/2003.. 39 ft Fleetwood excursion,330 hp cat..

Question is when I get into a pull thru site and want to lower air bags on rig w/trailer still hooked up,when ready to depart,will trailer be to heavy for air comp. to lift rig back up?

1 hour ago, DWAYNECHERAMIE said:

will start towing 20 ft enclosed car hauler w/2003.. 39 ft Fleetwood excursion,330 hp cat.. question is when I get into a pull thru site and want to lower air bags on rig w/trailer still hooked up,when ready to depart,will trailer be to heavy for air comp. to lift rig back up?

I didn't have a problem the first year I used on my coach.  In fact I had to use a drop hitch so the trailer will be level.  The problems I had was many pull through sites was not long enough and had coach and trailer hanging out both ends.  There was times I had to drop trailer in the overflow.  These campgrounds claimed to be able to accommodate when I called but they couldn't.  It didn't take me long to decide to tow 4 wheel down.  So much less trouble but your toad will get dirty.  

Tongue weight aside and that is not to sat it is not a valid question, it is important. I just visited that issue. I just returned from Oregon with my December purchase of an 11,781 mile 1998/99 Safari Panther supported by an Goodyear 8 air bag suspension towing a trailer and hauling an Audi S4. Approximate weight was 6,200 lbs and it was not an issue of the air system picking up the tongue. I was attentive to the car position on the trailer and made sure there was minimal drop at the hitch. I have a race car corner scale and will see where I ended up.  

Bill

Total weight of trailer & car in it is 7000 lbs, so figure 15% is tongue wt.= 1050 lbs,  the rig is 26000 lbs, so thinking an extra 1000 lbs on the lift when cranking rig back up should be of little concern I'm thinking.. just wanted to hear a little input on this scenario?

I had similar weight and no problem with 8 bag air suspension.  My Jeep is a diesel so the tongue weight had to be higher.   

10 hours ago, DWAYNECHERAMIE said:

Will start towing 20 ft enclosed car hauler w/2003.. 39 ft Fleetwood excursion,330 hp cat..

Question is when I get into a pull thru site and want to lower air bags on rig w/trailer still hooked up,when ready to depart,will trailer be to heavy for air comp. to lift rig back up?

If the ride height is maintained going down the highway there is ample air to lift the weight.