bkretvix

RV Driver Training in Florida - QUICK!

Can anyone recommend a Class A driver training instructor in the Orlando area or north Florida?  We just bought a new (slightly used) 35' DP and are going to pick it up next week (April 18).  We had a driver training class scheduled for a day later before driving back home to NJ.  However, the instructor had to cancel due to a family emergency and we're scrambling to get another before we have to drive back 1200 miles. 

We have already gone to Lazy Days, but 10 minutes of actual driving isn't enough.  We have also tried RV School and RV Basic Training - they have no one available in the near-term.

Any recommendations appreciated.

bkretvix,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Take the 10 min. and see if you can stretch it out! 

Do you have a friend that drives a coach that could help?

The only thought I have is to see if there is a school bus driver(one that drives a bus with air break) could go with you and cover the areas you feel a need help with getting comfortable driving the coach.

THE key area to cover: is knowing how the air break system works and how to read the air gauges and finding a way to remember to set them every time you park.

No Park position on the Transmission.

Go over how to test the air system covering the steps to take. The Coach will drive just like a car, but will accelerate much slower, require much more distance to stop, is much higher then car so keep a eye on overhead items and items at intersections where you will need more room to make turns. Turning to the right can be a little nerve racking until you get some time driving it. making those wider turns takes a little getting used to. Have you ever pulled a trailer? Driving the coach is a little like that.

If you can have the person helping you get the feel for driving something longer. See if they can set up some of those orange cones to drive around. You might want to practice in a big empty parking lot, using the parking lines to practice turning into and around them working to not run over the ones you a trying to miss.

Do a little Rt. planing and just pull into a rest area before traveling in high traffic areas and give the traffic time to decrease.  Know you will be on edge, but do what you can to reduce the stress.

Rich.

NOTE: IF you need to drive through a construction area, if the big trucks make it you can; but if you slow down a little more it kind of makes things look a little wider!

5 hours ago, bkretvix said:

Can anyone recommend a Class A driver training instructor in the Orlando area or north Florida?  We just bought a new (slightly used) 35' DP and are going to pick it up next week (April 18).  We had a driver training class scheduled for a day later before driving back home to NJ.  However, the instructor had to cancel due to a family emergency and we're scrambling to get another before we have to drive back 1200 miles. 

We have already gone to Lazy Days, but 10 minutes of actual driving isn't enough.  We have also tried RV School and RV Basic Training - they have no one available in the near-term.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Lazy Days used to have a  Driving school on property, ask them they still might,.

bkretvix, worse case scenario, stop and pick up some orange cones, find a local parking lot in FL and teach yourself. I found this video that also might help.

this one on how to set your mirrors;

This one on how your RV turns vs a car;

Hop onto You tube, and watch the videos, there is a bunch of them.

Watch the videos a couple of times and have them take you on another test drive. ;)  It's not that hard, just go slow you don't have to be in a hurry. 

Do a search on Youtube as there are other videos on the subject. You did test drive it first, didn't you?

Bill

You might try calling Walter Cannon at the RV Safety Education Foundation in Merritt Island. I thought he used to provide an on-the-road training course, but I don't see it listed on the website. Even if not, though, I'm 100% sure he could point you in the right direction. Check out the website here: http://www.rvsafety.com/.

Skip

I have learned to drive many vehicles in my day~ everything from grain combines to tail dragger airplanes..... Best advise you have been given is to Slow down.... budget three times (yes three times) the amount of time to make the return trip.

The front of the coach is pretty easy,  its your behind (literally) you have to watch carefully.

/john

Well it would be nice if the OP would report back. After all they were picking up the coach on  April 18. Either they made it home or are setting in fear in some Walmart parking lot. :lol:

Bill

13 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Well it would be nice if the OP would report back. After all they were picking up the coach on  April 18. Either they made it home or are setting in fear in some Walmart parking lot. :lol:

Bill

I hope that's not the case! :blink:

Well, it turns out that I will be making an impromptu trip to Lake City Fla., this weekend, that's about 170 miles north of Orlando. If the OP hasn't found a teacher yet, I will be more than happy to go there to meet and give a lesson or two. Just PM me here, I will be happy to send my e-mail and phone number. I have given instructions many times before. Only cost, one good meal. We have sickness in the DW's family is reason for the quick decision. I'll be there Monday 4/25 till Friday 4/29.