billshifter@bellsouth.net

Anti-sway bars on motorhome

I have a 29 foot Class B+ and am towing a Chevy Colorado, which is causing some sway. I am thinking of installing anti-sway bars on my motorhome. Would the bars help to eliminate some, if not all, of the sway.

What does your toad weigh?

Is your coach rated to tow that much?

What chassis?

Is the hitch attached to the frame or a frame extension built by the coach maker?

What is the wheelbase of your coach -- the amount of rear overhang is an important factor in how that heavy toad affects coach handling?

Have you made any suspension upgrades to the coach to this point?

How many miles on the coach?

What year model?

Brett Wolfe

My Colorado weighs appoximately 4,100 pounds and the motorhome is rated to tow 5,500 pounds. I am using a Blue Ox tow bar with base plates bolted where my tow hooks were attached to the chassis. It is on a Ford chassis with a wheel base of 212 inches and over length of 31 feet 4 inches.

I don't have anything added to help the sway.

The motorhome is a 2009 Lexington made by Forest River and has approx 3000 miles on it.

Hi, billshifter.

If you have a local chassis shop in your area, consider taking the coach to them and get their recommendation. If it were me, I'd do the following:

1. See if a two axle alignment can be done to ensure the rear wheels are tracking directly behind the front wheels

2. See if a rear track bar is already on the coach. If not consider installing one.

3. If a anti-sway bar is available, make sure it is the largest and most heavy duty bar you can get.

4. I do not know your specific chassis. Are air bags part of your suspension? If so consider air bag restrictors.

I'm not sure where you live, but this company has an outstanding reputation. Go to http://supersteersuperstop.com/ to read about their products. Consider giving them a call. They are not cheap, but they are very thorough and their products are top of the line. They have products for all classes of RVs.