gcwp75

Towing Ford F-350 truck

I have 1999 33-foot Allegro Bus with a Cummins engine and an Allison 3000 transmission. Should I be able to tow a 1999 350 Ford standard cab, standard transmission? I do have all the safety items -- tow bar, auxiliary brake etc.

Thanks for any input.

Gerry

I have 1999 33-foot Allegro Bus with a Cummins engine and an Allison 3000 transmission. Should I be able to tow a 1999 350 Ford standard cab, standard transmission? I do have all the safety items -- tow bar, auxiliary brake etc.

Thanks for any input.

Gerry

Gerry,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The weakest link dictates your coach's towing capacity. It may be the hitch, the hitch attachment (particularly if mounted on a frame extension vs the frame itself), brakes, etc.

The safe answer is to confirm GCWR (to be compared with your actual coach plus toad weight) and towing capacity with both your chassis maker (Freightliner I suspect) and Tiffin.

Brett Wolfe

Alegro Bus weights:

GVWR: 27,910 Lbs, GCWR: 32,910 Lbs. = 5000lbs

Ford F350 curb weight (Curb weight (US) or Kerb weight (UK) is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g. motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo ) 4944lbs

Do you know the class of hitch you have installed on your Bus? If it's the standard class III hitch you are going to overload the hitch, the class III hitch has a weight rating of 5000lbs. I think you are going to be stretching the limits of your bus and hitch.

Gerry,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The weakest link dictates your coach's towing capacity. It may be the hitch, the hitch attachment (particularly if mounted on a frame extension vs the frame itself), brakes, etc.

The safe answer is to confirm GCWR (to be compared with your actual coach plus toad weight) and towing capacity with both your chassis maker (Freightliner I suspect) and Tiffin.

Brett Wolfe

The hitch is mounted directly on the frame,and is braced in several areas. I guess they do not indicate on the hitch it's rating?

The hitch rating should be stamped into the hitch, at least the class should be.

The hitch appears to of been built right on to the frame of the motorhome.I have e- mailed Tiffin in hopes they can shed some light on the situation

I really appricate all the great response,thanks again,

Gerry

The hitch rating should be stamped into the hitch, at least the class should be.

A word of caution here. The hitch rating itself may OR MAY NOT indicate the towing capacity. Again, the weakest component determines capacity. The hitch may not be the weak link.

Brett Wolfe

A word of caution here. The hitch rating itself may OR MAY NOT indicate the towing capacity. Again, the weakest component determines capacity. The hitch may not be the weak link.

Brett Wolfe

Brett,

Thank you and all the others who have responded. It sure is a great feeling knowing there are so many FMCA folks willing to assist others. From all the input, I guess it's best to play it safe and look at a different unit to tow.

Thanks again,

Gerry

Be sure to check the owners manual of the truck to see if it can be towed all wheels down. Just because it has a standard transmission doesn't mean it can be towed all wheels down.