trishw

Trip Planning

Question

9 answers to this question

I currently have RV Trip Wizard and it has some very good qualities about it. I like the way it allows you to modify your trip as you plan. It will show you almost anything you need i.e., campgrounds, rest area, fuel, food, distance, and it will total up your estimated expenses once you set those parameters before you begin. You can also print out your trip and you can have it transferred to your GPS once you have finalized the trip. So to answer your question, yes I believe it is a useful tool. It does have some flaws. I have found that not all campgrounds are listed. Anytime you want to add a facility all you have to do is type in the address in "Find" and Trip Wizard will locate that address for you on your trip map. Hope this helps to answer your question. Safe travels and happy camping!

I decided to try RV Trip Wizard about a month before we began our trip from Florida to Texas in April.  I have used Delorme Street Atlas USA for several years for trip planning but it is not RV specific and the version I have really needed to be updated.

RV Trip Wizard can really be customized with your trip preferences - some of which I use and some I don't.  I especially like the feature to set miles per day.  I like to plan for 300 miles per day so I set a minimum of 250 and a maximum of 400 and the program will give me circles at those distances along with indicators of campgrounds in the area.  The campground we were want to go to in Texas was not in the database so I entered the address.  Then I put the information in the Missing Campground function of the program and in just a few days, our campground was added to the database.

Great feedback - thank you! 

There are quite a few free programs out there but I've not yet found "the" one for for me - since this is a paid application I really appreciate your answering my question. I think I may give it a try. :)

I recently ran across the planner that http://www.rvparky.com/ offers and found it useful. I especially like the way it changes all your dates if you choose to vary your schedule.

It also does not list many RV parks but used in conjunction with http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ it is still helpful. 

I have not heard of RV Trip Wizard so I will continue to follow this thread to learn more of others experiences with it as we are planning a cross country trip this summer.

Brad

I began using the RV Trip Wizard and after clicking on one of the campsites had my computer locked with the need to "call Microsoft to have the lock released and indicated all the computer info would be compromised.  A definite virus.  After cleaning it happened again and I discontinued using.

Welcome to the forum. I use the same apps as Bradrm above so I won't repost the links. I allso use CoPiolt for navigation because you can down load the maps on WIFI and not use as much data when using it on the road.

Bill

I also use the Good Sam Trip Planner and find to be very easy to use.  However after looking at the different apps or website out there I don't think there is one that will meet everyone's needs.  I find myself using the GS Trip Planer to document my trip but I end up opening several tabs in the browser with one with the Trip Planner, another open to Google Maps, another looking up campground reviews, and another for searching the campground website while planning.  I looked at RV Trip Wizard but felt that since I spent so much time doing Internet searches as part of the planning why spend money on something I would use just for the mapping.  It is probably a good program but for me it wasn't needed.