Sign in to follow this  
baileysmom

Coolant Leak-- Diesel Pusher

Hey Guys,

Well, I'm back with more issues!!

Yesterday we drove from North Platte, Nebraska to Las Vegas, NM.  to beat the winter storm that was coming in. 

We arrived at a Walmart in Las Vegas, NM around 7 pm.  When we went back to check the toad, we noticed coolant leaking from under the engine. 

The reservoir looks just a little lower than earlier in the day and we stopped and checked everything at different times thru the day without noticing anything wrong.

The amount of coolant was probably about 8 ounces.  it eventually stopped leaking.

It was getting dark so we decided to wait till this morning to check everything.

We opened the hatch in the bedroom and couldn't see anything.

We checked under the engine and did not see anything loose, no broken hoses or broken clamps.

We are now trying to figure out what to do next.

Do you think its safe to drive?

We have a number for a roadside service down in Santa Fe.  We were thinking of having him come up and check it out before hitting the road to Southern Arizona. 

So, what are your thoughts? 

IS this normal?

We've never had this happen before.

What are your thoughts on the cause for this?  is this because we were driving in the mountains all day.

We never noticed anything like rising engine temps. 

We watch them real close now that we've learned a lot from our last issues.

We appreciate your input and feedback!!!

Thanks!!

It will help if you provide the following information:

1. Year, Manufacturer, Model of your motorhome.

2. I'm assuming its a diesel pusher since you said you walked to the back, etc. Cummins or Cat ? HP

3. You said you saw coolant leaking from under the engine. Was it under the radiator/water pump or really under the engine?

Sorry,

I forgot some of the details.

Its a diesel pusher.  A 2011 Forest River Coachmen Cross Country with a Cummins 340 HP and Allison 2500. 

It has 18K on it and I just had it serviced in San Antonio three weeks ago.

I had a hose clamp come loose on my CAC about two weeks ago and had it fixed in Odessa at the Cummins shop there.

The coolant appeared to be coming from the fan area but I can't find the origin. 

I just started it and ran it for a few minutes and then got a check engine light and a read out on my console saying low coolant.

I'm thinking im gonna have to call a service guy out of Santa Fe!

I'm not sure I want to be sitting on the side of the road broken down.

I'm goin in to Walmart to get some more coolant and fill up the reservoir. 

So, what are your thoughts? 

No this is not normal. 

Virtually any shop can pressure test the cooling system-- not different than on a car or truck. 

We can NOT tell you if it is safe to drive.  It could continue to be a small leak, or a weak hose or bad hose clamp could come off completely.

Baileysmom,

Sound to me like a faulty radiator cap. You can go to either Auto Zone or O'Rilieys and they will loan you a tester (refundable deposit required) and you can test both the cap and the Radiator.

Herman

Be careful with the coolant.  I doubt Wally World has coolant for a diesel.  Call Coachman to determine the coolant type.  Some is "normal" and some is Extended Life Coolant (ELC).