Sign in to follow this  
ronandsue74

Help! Motor Home Won't Start

I have a 2005 CC Inspire with a Cat C-9 Engine.

When I turn on my ignition switch nothing happens!

None of the dash lights come on, everything stays dead.

If I hold down the battery boost switch all my dash lights come on, however there is not enough power to start the coach.

My chassis battery reads 12.7 volts and my charger says it's fully charged. I even connected my Fat Max jumper battery on to the chassis battery just in case I was showing battery voltage but not getting any amperage out of it. Still nothing, not even dash lights when I turn on the ignition! 

It appears as though nothing that is powered by my chassis battery is getting any power as my front door power lock does not even work!

My thinking is that I have a bad starter relay. Can anyone tell me where it's located and how I can verify that this is my problem.

Any other ideas as to what might be be the problem is appreciated.

Fortunately the coach is sitting in front of our house so we are not stranded anywhere.

Thank you,

Ron Jacobs

2005 CC Inspire #51264

Ron,

Are you reading 12.7 volts with your battery charger attached and on?  12.7 volts is not fully charged.  Given you get dash lights when you hit your battery boost my first guess is you have a bad chassis battery.  Do your have a "fluke" style tester?

Are you able to get your generator started?

How old is your chassis battery (s) and what is the condition?

Blake

"Not even dash lights when I turn on the ignition (with 12.7 VDC) suggests either a bad connection between batteries and dash OR a bad IGNITION SOLENOID.

Start by verifying voltage at the chassis battery side of the ignition solenoid. Then with key on, that you also have voltage at the "far side" of the ignition solenoid.

If the ignition solenoid is not completely bad, a light, sharp rap with the handle of a screwdriver can sometimes free it up (temporary fix).

Brett, Thanks, If it ever stops raining here in Dallas I will go out and check my ignition solenoid.

Is ignition solenoid and starter solenoid one in the same. I have a starter solenoid next to my master disconnect switch in my battery bay. 

RJ

No, the ignition solenoid is likely up front.  The ignition switch is used to close the ignition solenoid which then powers all things that only work with ignition on.  You would burn up an ignition switch if you tried to run all those high amp things through the switch itself-- dash HVAC fan for example.

An even better question is the shift pad lit? I just went thru all of this, this summer. I know there are a variety of scenarios. This is one and if not, check the fuse in the VIM box if equipt with an Allison. There are two fuses in it. Check the with a volt meter. This is my $100 fuse story, I did not and the tech did. It cost me for the lesson and a .20 cent fuse.

Bill Edwards

And if the shift pad is lit, is it in neutral - could have been turned of with it in drive and it will not start unless it is in neutral.  Just covering all the bases!

Nah! Dash lights would still work. Forget it.

I'm a little embarrassed to say it was my chassis battery after all. 

It was reading 12.7 volts but was so low on amps that it would not even light up my dash lights. I finally wired a direct short from positive to negative posts and barely got a spark from the battery. That's when I knew it was my battery. 

I replaced my battery and now all is well. Starts great!

I want to thank everyone for all their valuable input. 

RJ 2005 Inspire #51264

Ron, Good to know that the issue has been resolved ! Not to expensive a fix .

How old where the old batteries? Been eaten by a bad battery more then once. They can be very temperamental. Work just fine and a few days later, they might make just a good sized paper weight.

Rich.  

Sherry, Welcome to the Forum !

Now that sound like you have a fail solenoid! replied to you engine post. Thought there was the possibility of a failed relay or starter when you mentioned everything worked, but the coach would not start. When the solenoid fails, you loose power to the fuel pump and it quiets for lack of fuel.   

Rich.