trishw

Holiday Overnights?

I made reservations at a state park campground starting on Monday Memorial day, quite some time ago. I'm new at this and did not think about where I was going to stay on my way TO this state park. Since it is a Holiday weekend I'm noticing that many of the State/National Parks either have no vacancy or require 2-4 nites be booked due to the holiday. (I prefer state parks since I travel with alot of dogs). I'm not interested in Walmarts etc due to the number of dogs I have, not opening my slides makes this rather difficult.

My dates are rather limited for travel to and from this reservation as I will need to put my mother in a Nursing home for respite during my trip (I'm her caregiver) 

I'd be interested in what you've done when/if traveling during a holiday weekend and just need an overnighter.

Hi Trish,

For an overnighter, if Walmart or Sam's isn't a choice, we look for a "non-destination" RV park.  KOA's have both but prices can be high.  We have a membership with Passport America.  http://passportamerica.com/

Membership costs $45 annually but once a member you get 50% off the regular rate.  Payout is pretty quick.

Blake

Try to find an inexpensive campground that does not have a limit on dogs.  Some do.  For the $25-35 a night should not break the bank.

As stated KOA's are good around holiday times but it is going to depend on the tourist attractions and outside activities like boating, swimming, etc. The nice thing about KOA is you can go online and pick a KOA in the area you want to travel to and see if they have opening, then book it on line if it is what you want.  We travel extensively during the summer months to get out of the Texas heat. A few times we had to call several campgrounds along our route before we could find a place. I now try to make reservations ahead of time if I know I'll be on the road.   The problem you will run into is that memorial day is a Monday so many of the campgrounds will be booked Fri-through Sun and the weekenders will depart on Monday.  If you only need one night, start calling - or - Wally World, Lowes, Home Depot, or even some churches will let you stay in their parking lot if it does not interfere with their services.

Also don't know if you are aware of this, my wife has been a caregiver over 40 years, many of the hospice facilities, where people that cant be helped for,  will actually take a person such as your mom and put them up for you just for a getaway for vacations, and emergencies and the like, for free, and give them better care than they will receive in a regular nursing home.

Just a tidbit for those that do not know.