ronmyrnes

Kwikee Step

Hello everybody,

I'm a new FMCA member, joined in Dec. last year.

While in FL for the winter I developed a problem with my Kwikee electric step. It seems that it doesn't want to retract fully when I close the door, but I can "help" it along and it retracts fully.

I priced a new motor assembly on the  Del City website and I was wondering if there are any user replacement parts that might be causing this problem that might be cheaper than a new motor assembly.

Thanks for any help,

Ron

An easy fix, most likely.  Under your steps, locate the ground wires and disconnect them.  Clean them with denatured alcohol to get rid of all of the road grime, then reconnect them so that they have a clean contact.  

Mine was recently doing the same thing.  The wire connection to the step was really  grimy.  

Welcome to FMCA and the forums!

Carl

As above.  I had same problem.  I crawled under and sprayed silicone lubricant on all moving parts.  Works great again.

The big gremlins with power steps  not working have been covered well. The ground connection failing due to corrosion or a broken ground wire. The other main problem is dirt and rust build up on the mechanisms mechanical pivot points. 

The other items are the motor failing, broken actuator arm between the motor and the step lever linkage. The circuit boards do fail, but the first items check out, before ordering a new control board. Disconnect the motor actuator are from the step linkage. Then open and close the door and see if the motor will cycle from open to closed state or visa versa. This will reset the current limiter cutout circuit  and if the steps work fine chances are, if you have lubricated things = they are good to go.

There is very little room between the steps and the ground!! So one might want to get some help - its never fun to be pined between the steps and ground. 

Been There Done That- lucky that I had taken some tool's with me. As I laid there under the steps feeling kind of stupid and embarrassed. Its always easier if the steps are extended before one gets under them !! LOL

Rich.

Also check the teeth on the plate. If there are broken teeth it would stop the step.  The steps stop by an electronic current limiter switch. You can stop it with your foot. Any debris at all that limits the travel will stop the step.

All the above and also, when you do get the step moving again, make sure that you don't put any weight on step until it's fully extended.  If you do, then it will stop the travel again!  As Rich said, this was covered in another post...mine! :(:rolleyes:

Carl C.

On 4/17/2016 at 6:18 PM, ronmyrnes said:

Hello everybody,

I'm a new FMCA member, joined in Dec. last year.

While in FL for the winter I developed a problem with my Kwikee electric step. It seems that it doesn't want to retract fully when I close the door, but I can "help" it along and it retracts fully.

I priced a new motor assembly on the  Del City website and I was wondering if there are any user replacement parts that might be causing this problem that might be cheaper than a new motor assembly.

Thanks for any help,

Ron

Welcome to the forum. You have gotten some good responses. I think you just need to give it a good cleaning and lube. You said they move if you help them. You have to get under and behind to get to some of the pivot points. Let us know if that fixes the problem.

Bill

Another thing to be aware of if the steps start dragging is your chassis battery might be getting weak.  Had this happen a while back...steps were slow to open...engine would not start.

I had the same problem about a month ago. I found a bundle of wires, secured by plastic wire ties, near the frame rail. They were covered in road grime. I cut the wire ties and separated the bundle. There were some wires butt spliced in this group and the largest one was very corroded. This happened to be the main wire feeding the step. I cut the splice out, stripped the wires back and installed a new butt splice. I secured the wire bundle with fresh wire ties and tested the step. Works perfectly.

Mike Layton

There is a tape I call Plumber's Tape that when applied the only way to get it off is to cut it off. The link is for an aluminum tape but they make a rubber tape and it comes in different colors if you want to get pretty. Or, red for positive lines and black for negative lines. (DC only) Try a little piece around a finger and you cannot peel it off. To apply you have to pull it and it seals against itself. I never leave home without it.  If you already have it spliced and don't want to cut and add heat shrink, the Plumber's Tape is the way to go.  I do agree with Carl that heat shrink is the best way, and I also don't leave home without it either.