widewader

How Does A Brake Buddy Know When To Apply Brakes

I have looked at many brake systems like the Brake Buddy and Even Brake. I bought a similar system, Roadmaster's Add-A-Brake on Ebay. It is lightly used and came in the original box. It has two cables, one to plug into the cigarette lighter and another with two leads at the end. No other cables, printed materials, etc. came with it. I emailed Roadmaster and was told that I could buy their "second towed vehicle" kit for about $175. I look at the kit and it appears that I would be buying a few things that I already have like breakaway stuff and a monitor for towed brake application.

My question is, "How does the Brake Buddy or Even Brake know when to apply the brakes to the toad?"

What is the communication link between the motorhome and the brake system?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I didn't know how else to do it.

If the Brake Buddy and Even Brake are anything like my RVI 2 brake system, it relies on an inertia sensor in the unit sitting on the floor.  When it senses rapid deceleration it will apply the brakes on the toad.  There is no connection between the motorhome brake system and the RVI 2 system.

Lenp

Thanks, guys. I've got the answer I needed. Now, I've got a brake system that will, I hope, work better than the ReadyBrake I've been using. Not saying the ReadyBrake didn't work. Just never was confident in it. Everything depended on the activating cable being tightened properly, depending on eyeballing the proper amount of slack.