shalom

Need Tires-- New Or Take Offs

We are currently in the Mesa AZ. area. Monaco 2007 Dynasty Queen IV. Need 4 rear tires, for the rear axle, 295 80 22.5. Perhaps take offs or new? I also would like to sell the take offs for 50.00 each to cover cost of mounting. Not sure if I'm just dreaming here. Need thoughts/advice. WHAT TIRE IS BEST AND WHERE.  

Are you a FMCA member?  If so, find a Michelin dealer in your area that does "Fleet Prices"!  Get 4 new tires.  As for the old ones, ask the dealership, they generally know someone who buys used tires.

Good Luck

Talked to a friend of mine that owns a large tire dealership. When I made mention that my take offs would still be good for the rock haulers trailers, he said that the 295/80R-22.5s were not a highly sought after size. Just on Motor Homes. That might be why so many Tire Manufacturers only build them once a year.

Herman

Just as Herman said above, I just replaced my 295's and went with 315's mainly because they are far more readily available, and even though they are the next size up, they were actually $60.00 ea. cheaper...through the FMCA Michelin program.

Bob

So much information I am  going crazy. I'm getting ready to replace all six of my tires on my DP.

I have found some Michelin 275/80R 22.5H XZA3+Plus. Anyone have any experience with these. I have a 2004 Horizon.

jmciccarello,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

One of the prime questions after verifying that they are the correct size and load range is their AGE.  The last four digits of the complete DOT number which is molded into only one side of each tire indicates the WEEK and YEAR of production.  This is important because it is likely that you will replace the tires due to age instead of tread wear.

On 4/19/2016 at 5:30 PM, hermanmullins said:

...the 295/80R-22.5s were not a highly sought after size. Just on Motor Homes...

Herman

Quite true, Herman, we found out the hard way.  Last May we had a RF blow out on I 55 south of Chicago.  We sat on the side of the road...edge of the road actually...for over five hours while they looked for a 295/80R22.5.  Finally found one over 50 miles away...for $800.

6 minutes ago, FIVE said:

Quite true, Herman, we found out the hard way.  Last May we had a RF blow out on I 55 south of Chicago.  We sat on the side of the road...edge of the road actually...for over five hours while they looked for a 295/80R22.5.  Finally found one over 50 miles away...for $800.

Downside of having an unusual size. I have suggested in this video that people investigate the ease of getting replacement tire in the size they run. If your size is not common you might consider carrying an un-mounted spare tire for emergencies. You can store a lot of stuff inside an un-mounted tire.

On a previous coach, the size that was mounted and blew was not a popular size, I actually replaced two to the correct size for less money than one of the incorrect oddball size.

F451959,

Yourd date code will be four digits.  Example  0116 which means the tires were manufactured  the first week  of 2016. 

As for a spare, I just replaced three tires. I kept the best one and put it in my storage bay slide. We are going on a 7 week trip and in these temperatures I am not taking any chances.

Herman 

Herman no these are the date codes DOT FVEA-AU2 X  489 this was the only tire I can get the code for on the back Right outside duelly. The Right side front is  FVEA CN8 X 2511 Therefore I am waiting to crawl under to see what the codes are for the others. 

I was hopeful someone would disagree with me that this tire was made the first week of December 1999-1989 or1979 My Coach is a 2001 American Dream. I bought it a few years ago and everyone told me the tires were like new and wouldn't have to worry about them. So I didn't. Had them inspected last year and mechanic said I could get another year at least out of them

Yea, I don't crawl well...the Lord gave me two legs. :D Come to think about it, the legs are going out too! :P

A suggestion for everyone. Next time you buy a tire be sure to record the full DOT serial, tire size and Load Range. Much easier to do before a tire is placed on the coach. Keep the tire info in your "important stuff" file. With this information, it will be easier in the future to know what you have when it comes time to replace or when bad stuff happens and you need to tell road service what you need.

The up side of having this info written down is that if there is ever a tire recall you can quickly check your notes to see if you "won" new tires.

An alternate suggestion I give during my FMCA tire seminar is to "hire" a teenager and give them a flashlight and blanket or throw rug and $5 and have them crawl under the coach, if needed, to record the DOT of the current tires. This will be much easier done on a nice day and may require the coach to be moved a few feet to get the serial in a position they can view. The good news is that this only needs to be done once.

All tire purchasers using the FMCA Michelin discount: I will be needing a set of 6, (275 70R 22.5) for my 2007 Fleetwood Excursion. For budgeting purposes, can someone tell me what the price is going to be for a set of 6 installed? If not, is it possible to find out? It seems that you must buy them first and then you know the cost, is that right?

Bruce