echo3

Coach-Net

A little over a month back, I had a tire failure on a Sunday near dark. I called Coach-Net and got a gentleman and explained my problem and tire size and kept emphasizng my load range H need. After a few minutes, he called back with a couple of choices $$$ and I made my choice and was instructed to wait for a call from the tire company. That came in about 90 minutess and was a report that they did not have my tire in stock in any brand. I called back to Coach-Net and got a young lady who had to call the previous tire company to confirm and got back with me, at which time I again went into the load range H and she flatly told me that all tires my size were the same and, at the time, I didn't know any different. I was assuming they were the experts.

By the time the second tire company got out, the time was 9 p.m. and it was dark. All I could see was the tire size and it was OK, but when I got home I discovered the load range is G and the maximum weight capacity is slightly lower than my actual coach weight on any corner.

Now I have a tire that must be replaced again. I immediately called Coach-Net and was advised they would check out the phone records and get back. After a week, I called again and a gentleman read the contact info to me and it had numerous references to load range H and he advised he would turn it over to quality control. In a few days, I followed up with an e-mail to Coach-Net and since then I have received a "how was our service" survey form. I attached the detailed e-mail to the form and mailed it.

It has now been another two weeks and no response from Coach-Net. I feel they were in control of the tire and either they or the tire company messed up and I am left holding a $500 tire I can't use. I really think the last lady was so sure she knew everything, she failed to tell the tire company about the load range H. I have used them once before and was very pleased, but this is dissapointing when I have recommended them to several friends. I would at least expect a response from them. What should I do? Any suggestions would be appreciated. David White

Guest Wayne77590

Are you a member of Good Sam? They have a department that helps people with troubles like this. Most companies do not want the publicity that goes with this type situation, but sometimes it requires outside intervention.

Good luck.

I had GS and they gave me the same run-around. We had a flat that ruined the rim. All they were concerned about was getting me on a tire that I could drive away with. A rim and tire that I couldn't use would have cost me $700 and that was their solution (period). I paid to have a company come in and bring me the proper tire size on a rim that would have to be replaced. I came out way ahead. In this case, no company was better than what they offered. The emergency people are concerned with minimizing their costs. There are likely circumstances where this solution is the best, but I'm not so sure. Their solution is a tow to the nearest place where you can get service. Their cost trumps your cost.

I had a broken oil line to the turbocharger in the mountains in California. It took much negotiation to get Coach-Net to tow us to a repair center. Another 100 miles and I could have had warranty service with Cummins but -- no -- they would pay for the nearest service where I would have to pay for the cost of the service. It doesn't matter who is providing the service, their cost trumps your cost.

As far as they are concerned, the cheapest service is what works for them ...

I've been pulled from a stuck-in-the-mud situation by both services and they both performed well, service was excellent. In each of the above instances, I felt as if there was a better solution in my interest, but their interest ruled.

Guest Wayne77590

My previous post may be misinterpreted. I'm not saying go with Good Sam ERS, unless that is what you want to do. Their magazine has a section where members write in describing their problem with services and they will act as an intermediary for the GS member. All it really amounts to is bad publicity for the problem making service.

My personal opinion based on my personal experiences, is that all three road side major players, Coach-Net, GS, and AAA will make all kinds of promises to sign you up. Then they will do a reasonable job of getting you back on the road in a temporary manner so that you can get your own repairs accomplished. Each corporation has wonderful stories of how they saved a life, saved a vacation, saved a marriage, or whatever. I have read complaints concerning each corporation on how it took hours to respond, wrong equipment was sent, damage was sustained, people were rude, etc.

I, personally, have AAA. It works for my family. I have minimal expectations. I expect them to get me to a safe environment in a reasonable period of time, and I will then have to spend lots of money to fix my problems.

As for your complaint, I would make noise like crazy, publicly, by registered letter, and perhaps using the letterhead of an attorney friend, and insist that some compensation be made for the tire...exchange, trade, replacement, cash.

Good Luck, and Happy Trails. Don't let it spoil your travels.

Perhaps you can deal with a reputable tire company in your area and exchange and/or pay a prorated cost to get a new one put on your RV.

Most consumer protection experts will say that buying an aftermarket warranty on all but a very few products is wasted money. When buying one is appropriate, their advice is to buy the warranty from the manufacturer of the product; not a third party vendor.

My coach originally came with a free Coach-Net after market warranty (yes, I know, nothing is free). A couple of claims was all it took for the customer-no-service to kick in. But that's ok, because it was a learned lesson for me -- and obviously to others -- that I get to pass along. Don't do business with that company. On some things, we can't get around not having insurance, but we definitely don't have to keep the unresponsive warranty companies in business to perpetuate issues like this one. And for the cost of the warranty, one could have bought a couple new tires.

In fairnest to Coach-net concerning my initial post, they have finally made contact with me and after investigation have offered to pay 1/2 the tire cost, which I have accepted to stop the misery (they are to pay as soon as original invoice is received from the tire co). Of course, there could have been some error on the part of the tire provider which Coach-Net sent, but no need to dwell on that. Bottom line is they did finally respond and I am moving on with the reality in mind that they are likely as good as any service provider in this type of business and the hope that I get a check within the next month. Thanks, David White

I ran over some PVC pipe that was on the road with our towed car and blew out two tires. Called Coach-Net. They said they couldn't help me, I had to find out who lost the stuff I ran over and get them to help. All I needed was a wrecker to take me about a mile to the nearest Wal-Mart to get new tires. They said that they woud send a wrecker, but wouldn't cover the cost.

I ended up sitting on the side of the highway in a really bad part of town for 45 minutes for help. My husband was about an hour and 10 minutes away and I had to call my sister and her husband to come and get me. I went ahead and paid the driver when he got there to take me the mile.

I wrote to Monaco Coach after the horrible experience of being in a bad area and it getting dark and not getting the service that I was supposed to get. I told them that their name was on my card along with Coach-Net and it made their company look bad when service was not given. Monoco Coach reimbursed us for the money we were out for the wrecker. We now use Good Sam and have had good service with them. Only one bad experence trying to contact them and it was because of a major snow storm somewhere up north and their lines were tired up with emergency calls from that.

We've had GS and Coach-Net and at one time both at once for peace of mind. Never used GS but used Coach-Net and they worked pretty good for a flat tire repair on the road. Glad to hear they stepped up and offered to settle, maybe not for what you wanted, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they recognized their failure.

All we can do is continue on life's journey, take the bumps, learn the lesson and then smile and continue down the road of life. Life's short, smile and make someone happy today. Take one minute to be nice to someone, it's contagious :rolleyes:

On Christmas Day we where traveling down I-8 around noon by exit 87 Sentinel AZ (the middle of the town of nowhere) we broke a inner fan belt and I had no spare, we use GS and they got a service provider to contact me but they could not get the part until the next day (it was christmas day) the next morning they had the service man come from Buckeye AZ some 180 miles away with the belt and we where on our way. On Christmas they seemed determined to tow us to Yuma some 90 miles away, I told them we where in no danger we had the border patrol close by and they where watching out for us so just send the mechanic not the tow truck, it took a lot of talking but it seemed smarter to just replace the belt than risk damaging the coach from towing it 90 miles We only paid the cost of the part and labor to install $125 the travel time had to be almost $300 and GS paid for that.

David Duhe :rolleyes:

On Christmas Day we where traveling down I-8 around noon by exit 87 Sentinel AZ (the middle of the town of nowhere) we broke a inner fan belt and I had no spare, we use GS and they got a service provider to contact me but they could not get the part until the next day (it was Christmas day).

The next morning they had the service man come from Buckeye AZ some 180 miles away with the belt and we where on our way. On Christmas they seemed determined to tow us to Yuma some 90 miles away, I told them we where in no danger we had the border patrol close by and they where watching out for us so just send the mechanic not the tow truck, it took a lot of talking but it seemed smarter to just replace the belt than risk damaging the coach from towing it 90 miles We only paid the cost of the part and labor to install $125 the travel time had to be almost $300 and GS paid for that.

David Duhe :rolleyes:

David,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

May have been a (slightly) expensive lesson. ALWAYS a good idea to carry spare belts and fuel filters, as they are unique items.

BUT there are people virtually anywhere who can put them on for you IF you have them with you.

If your chassis is over 3 years old, my recommendation is to replace the belts NOW. That does several things:

1. Guarantees that they are the correct size.

2. Puts new belts on the engine, so they are less likely to break.

3. Gives you a spare set of belts.

Brett Wolfe

David,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

May have been a (slightly) expensive lesson. ALWAYS a good idea to carry spare belts and fuel filters, as they are unique items.

BUT there are people virtually anywhere who can put them on for you IF you have them with you.

If your chassis is over 3 years old, my recommendation is to replace the belts NOW. That does several things:

1. Guarantees that they are the correct size.

2. Puts new belts on the engine, so they are less likely to break.

3. Gives you a spare set of belts.

Brett Wolfe

Brett,

You make a great suggestion. I was wondering if you have a list of items that ought to be in your "spare kit"? I'm always weighing the benefits of having spare parts vs. the space/weight that they take.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ron Clanton

Brett,

You make a great suggestion. I was wondering if you have a list of items that ought to be in your "spare kit"? I'm always weighing the benefits of having spare parts vs. the space/weight that they take.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ron Clanton

Ron,

Engine belts and extra fuel filter(s) are both reasonably high failure rate items that can leave you on the side of the road. They are also both relatively inexpensive and can be installed by service personnel virtually anywhere.

Spare fuses fall into the same category.

I also recommend carrying quantities of all your fluids (engine oil, distilled water, coolant, Transynd/ATF, etc). It keeps you from putting in the wrong fluid and doing real damage or having to spend your valuable time hunting for the correct fluid in the middle of nowhere.

Also, FRESH (they have a short shelf life) SCA test strips if you have a diesel and the correct SCA additive/filter compatible with your brand of coolant.

Other than that, it depends on your skill level and also on how far off the beaten path you go. For example when we travel to Mexico, we carry a spare (unmounted) tire, as our size is not available in Mexico and a spare fresh water pump.

Brett Wolfe

Also, FRESH (they have a short shelf life) SCA test strips if you have a diesel and the correct SCA additive/filter compatible with your brand of coolant.

Brett Wolfe

Thanks Brett, good advice.

I am new to RV and do not recognize "SCA test strips". Can you fill me in?

Bill Burgner

Orlando, FL

Thanks Brett, good advice.

I am new to RV and do not recognize "SCA test strips". Can you fill me in?

Bill Burgner

Orlando, FL

Bill,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

SCA= Supplemental Cooling Additive. It is added to the coolant of all diesel engines (with the possible exception of the Cummins B engine which does not require it).

It is consumed in the normal operation of a diesel engine and must be replaced to protect the cooling system. Look it up in the cooling system section of your engine's owners manual.

Test strips are available that check for SCA, freeze point and pH. They are around a $1 each. The DO have an expiration date-- do not use expired test strips.

Do NOT just add SCA, as too much is as bad as too little. Test and then add if necessary.

We just wrapped up a Rally of the CATERPILLAR RV Engine Owners Club (an FMCA Chapter)-- one of the things we did is check the SCA, freeze point and pH of every coach that had "regular low silicate for diesel with SCA".

Brett

Brett,

I'm fairly new to RVing, having purchased a 2000 Monaco Type A about a year and a half ago. It has 350 hp ISC Cummins engine. Your comment that all diesel engines, with the possible exception of Cummins type B engines, use SCA drove me to my coach and engine manuals. Neither says anything about SCA. So, do you recommend that I get the test strips or not? And if the coolant doesn't have any SCA, should I add any?

Lowell Bergen

Lowell,

There are several names for SCA. Another is DCA. Your Cummins book's cooling section should have a discussion on it.

There are basically two very different coolants that are approved for HD diesel engines:

1. And most common from the factory is "Low silicate coolant for diesel with added SCA". SCA is used up protecting the cylinder liners and must be replenished. Normal change interval is 3 years.

2. The new-generation OAT-based coolants-- both Caterpillar and Cummins/Fleetguard have them. No SCA to test or add. 6 year life in an RV with other maintenance (at least on Caterpillar ELC), and I suspect on Fleetguard as well as we don't drive enough miles (300,000 in 3 years) to require the single "booster" required on OTR Trucks.

First step is to VERIFY that coolant you have in there. Mixing coolant #1 with coolant #2 is not a good idea. If #1, then you will need test strips. If 3+ years on #1 (time starts when chassis is built) you should change it.

Below is a link to Wix website for a box of 12 individually packaged 3-packs of test strips. I would NOT suggest buying a whole box as they do expire (have exporation date on them), Do NOT use past exporation date or results are not reliable. Any place that works on HD diesels will have the test strips, and any parts house catering to the HD diesel trade should have them. Be sure to check date on the strips when you purchase them. They are an easy "dip in coolant, wait a few seconds and compare colors". Very similar to pool chemical testing.

http://www.wixfilter....asp?Part=24105