HRJimmy

Kwikee Step Won't Retract

I have a 2002 HR Endeavor I just got it out of the shop.  It came back with all the batteries dead and out of water. 

My Kwikee step won't retract and frig won't come on in A/C mode. 

I changed two of the batteries and still have the problem.

Thanks for some help

How many batteries do you have total?

What is the voltage reading after replacing the two?

Does the fridge come on if LP mode? Need to know these things to help.

Also, were these items working before going to the shop?

I have 4 house batteries and showing 12 plus volts.  The frig does work on LP.  All these things were working when I brought it in.  I had a slide out cover installed and leveling sensor changed and some body work.  Plus oil change and filter.

We are assuming they worked before. Check the position of the switch. If my switch is in the wrong position the steps won't retract. I would look and see if they happened to turn off a circuit breaker when they were working on the leveling sensor. Have you tried the leveling system since you got it back?

Bill 

Also check the ground wire.  If necessary, clean the contact point for the ground.  This won't have any effect on your reefer, tho :)

The refer requires 12 volt to work on any option, AC or LP.

As stated above make sure that a disconnect hasn't been set to the disconnect position. If the interior lights are working, then disconnect is on.

Check for fuse if other coach appliances are working. Also, some of the refers has a reset on the control board that may need resetting.

14 hours ago, HRJimmy said:

It came back with all the batteries dead and out of water.

What batteries where out of water? I'm thinking the house batteries. If this is the case there is the possibility that the charger portion of the inverter / charger house batteries for the house batteries started drawing a higher current. This could have tripped the ac input breaker to the inverter, due to a increased  current demand. 

If your refrigerator is powered from a 110 volt circuit that is supplied from the inverter, this circuit could be open. Have you checked to see if there is 110 volts at the refrigerator outlet? There is a circuit breaker on the input power side of the inverter and also 2 on the output side of the inverter.

As mentioned by Five the step power comes from the chassis batteries. Sounds like the steps did not retract when you started the engine ? If that is the case check the 12 volt fuse in line powering the steps. If the fuse is good then check for a bad ground connection. There is one located above the step opening. This ground is the ground point for the step motor, as mentioned by CarlAda.

Rich.

Thanks for all the help. I checked the plug to the frig. No power but have power to the plug for the ice maker.    

Could I try to plug the frig to another outlet to see if it works?

33 minutes ago, HRJimmy said:

Could I try to plug the frig to another outlet to see if it works?

Jimmy,

Yes, you could even use an extension cord on a temporary basis.

To operate on either 120 VAC or LP, remember, it must have 12 VDC to the back/outside of the refrigerator.

Ok first thanks for all the input. This is where I'm at checked the ground fault in the bathroom. It was tripped I reset it and frig worked for a while then it tripped again. Now I have it plugged to another outlet. Will it be ok for me to plug it into the ice maker plug it works off of another circuit.  

Again thanks

Jimmy,

The fact that the GFI is tripping with the refrigerator on 120 VAC, IF, repeat IF it does not trip if everything else is on except the refrigerator indicates that there is a high likelihood that the refrigerator 120 VAC heat element is bad/leaking to ground. 

While you can run it on a non-GFI to test, I would NOT see this as a fix for a bad heat element!

Dumb answer but did you check the circuit breakers? Or we had this happen once and it was someone had hit the stairs with something because they were out of alignment. Pushed them back to where they should have been and no issues. 

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 4:40 PM, HRJimmy said:

I have a 2002 HR Endeavor I just got it out of the shop.  It came back with all the batteries dead and out of water. 

My Kwikee step won't retract and frig won't come on in A/C mode. 

I changed two of the batteries and still have the problem.

Thanks for some help

Concerning the step, those Kwikee steps have plastic gears....if someone steps on them while opening or closing, good chance you will strip the gears and the steps will not open or close.  You should hear a noise as the motor runs without the gears engaging.  New motor with gears will be required.  30 minute job to replace.

Wayne, I also have metal parts on my Kwikee!  The armature arm, needs to be reset...easiest way is to lightly bang on motor with a hammer.  Make sure no body parts are near the step, it will hurt you when it retracts!  You have to keep all moving parts well lubed and free of dirt, also allow step to be fully extended before putting weight on it.  2 years ago, I allowed my 40 pound dog to go in, before full extension and the step stuck in half open position....there is a post on it here. 

Carl

28 minutes ago, Manholt said:

...You have to keep all moving parts well lubed and free of dirt, also allow step to be fully extended before putting weight on it....

Good point.  I clean and lube my steps once a month.  If they are not cleaned and lubed, they will not work.