martinblue

Alternator Removal

I have a 2011 Freightliner DP with at Cummins 400ISL engine, side radiator, and can't get the Delco 28SI alternator out of the opening. I've turned it every which way I can but it still sticks. Is there a secret to this? I even went so far as loosening the cast bracket its mounted too, hoping it would give me enough space.

I took mine out toward the front on the coach. I don't think you can get it to come out toward the back.

Get the wires loose and drop it down behind the mount.

Worth a try.

Thanks Dave. From under the coach I can only barely see the alternator and never noticed any opening close to big enough to get it out. I'll look again though. I'll look again. I already have it totally unmounted, wires and all. Is yours a Freightliner Cummins Diesel pusher as well?

Martin, Could you post the make and model of the coach of the group?

The chassis manufacture and Engine information is helpful, but who built the coach on top of the frame might offer some help regarding getting the Alternator clear of the engine. Alternator is mounted on top of the engines in most cases and is lifted out from the top side.

Rich.   

I just recently did this with our coach and it was difficult but I managed to wrestle it out to the rear.  The other option is as Rich mentions.  Most manufacturers provide some kind of removable panel or other kind of access to the top of the engine.  In our first coach it was under the bed.  Our current coach has removable panels in the closet and in front of the closet.  There would have been no way to get the alternator out by going down and out the bottom of the engine compartment without taking out things like the exhaust and several other lines. 

14 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Martin, Could you post the make and model of the coach of the group?

The chassis manufacture and Engine information is helpful, but who built the coach on top of the frame might offer some help regarding getting the Alternator clear of the engine. Alternator is mounted on top of the engines in most cases and is lifted out from the top side.

Rich.   

Thanks Rich and TButler

It's a 2011 Newmar Dutchstar. I have access to the top of the engine from the back living area but the alternator can't come out the top. It's obstructed by the compressor and other things. It looks to me that the only possibility is to bring it out the back. The opening is almost big enough, lacking about a half inch. But, I've turned it upside down, backwards and tried to finesse it through at an angle, like a couch too big for a door, without success.

I tried to attach a 131KB file size picture to this post, but the platform rejected it, saying it had to be less than 500 KB. Ever had one of those days?

Martin, Thanks for the heads up information regarding the obstacle course that needs to be cleared. Wounder if they intended the pulley to be removed before the alternator will clear?  Removing the pulley really requires an impact wrench to remove them. If that is the case Do you have a contact / friend that has one of the new battery powered ones you could barrow. Along with the proper socket ? 

You can bet the coach builder did not think anyone but a full sized repair center would R and R  them. 

Regarding the picture file size, it is limited. Do you have a way to reduce the size or crop the picture?

Rich.

3 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Martin, Thanks for the heads up information regarding the obstacle course that needs to be cleared. Wounder if they intended the pulley to be removed before the alternator will clear?  Removing the pulley really requires an impact wrench to remove them. If that is the case Do you have a contact / friend that has one of the new battery powered ones you could barrow. Along with the proper socket ? 

You can bet the coach builder did not think anyone but a full sized repair center would R and R  them. 

Regarding the picture file size, it is limited. Do you have a way to reduce the size or crop the picture?

Rich.

It accepted the picture this time.

If I have to I'll remove the pulley and cast bracket in front of the alternator though I assumed I'm missing something less involved. I started out with a low battery voltage error on my dashboard and ended up with the diagnosis of a bad alternator through research here and on IRV2.  Posts spoke of replacing the alternator on various RV's, including Diesel Pushers, as if it were a relatively simple procedure, requiring nothing more than unbolting it. No one mentioned a problem with access or having to remove other components to get to it. Just wondering if anyone else has done this, considering alternators do fail.

alternator.jpg

This site does the picture problem every time I have tried to post one also, I'm surprised that it let you finally post yours. Rich the size was already 131 kb almost 1/4 of the 500 allowed. I've tried 50 kb before and still does this to me.

Martin,

Located where mine is and a lot of others are-very typical for Cummins. The big difference is the AC compressor is mounted directly above the alternator!  That kind of limits removing it from the top.

4 bolts through the alternator that screw into the engine block, the one closest to the fan looks like it goes through a bracket that supports the pulley end where the tension from the belt would be high. Is this the support bracket you have referred to ?

Man you are right it is a tight spot-looks like it sets behind the Turbo charger and above the exhaust (Muffler) system. Is the exhaust pipe or muffler the biggest item(s) in the way? Or is there a side radiator and CAC just to the left of the alternator as one looks at the picture?

IS-28 Style Alternator has a dual internal cooling fan setup. It works well is most cases, but because of all the hot running components placed around the area. The alternator is in one of the hottest areas and heat kills them over time. You might want to take a look at the duct work I installed on my coach for the same reason. HEAT.

Rich.

Kay, regarding the attaching a photo. I think thing work different, depending on who's search engine one is using ? But you are correct in regards the file size Martin was trying to use.

Rich. 

11 hours ago, DickandLois said:

4 bolts through the alternator that screw into the engine block, the one closest to the fan looks like it goes through a bracket that supports the pulley end where the tension from the belt would be high. Is this the support bracket you have referred to ?

Good eyes, Rich. Yes that's the support bracket I loosened. I wanted to remove it completely but one front bolt is trapped by another overlying bracket. The radiator is to the left as you suspected, and the shiny thing in the upper left corner of the picture is the "hose." I started to remove it but came to the conclusion that it wouldn't help. Taking the compressor off wouldn't help because its mount would still obstruct. I Have to believe there's some way I can turn the alternator to get it out and will try again today or tomorrow. The coach is off site. I'm impressed with your directed ventilation system and will come back to it once I've got a new alternator to cool.