lawgirl11

Auxiliary Braking System: 2013 Honda CRV?

This question might have been asked but I am really getting confused. I just got a 2013 Honda CRV that I am going to flat tow behind a 2005 Winnebago Journey Diesel Pusher. I have the Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar system.

My question is should I get a braking system? If so which one?

I know of Brake Buddy Patriot. Are their others?

Indeed, you need a braking system.  Required by law in most (but not all) states.

I'm fond of SMI braking systems, as you don't have to set them up and take them down everytime your tow.  Once installed, there's little to do again.

https://smibrake.com/index.php

I have been using he SMI Air Force 1 system for 8 years and switched cars during that period and switched the AF1 over. It has worked very well.  Just connect the lines and go. Nothing needs to be put on the floor inside the car when you move - the system stays there.

Good luck.

On 4/25/2016 at 2:56 PM, Elkhartjim said:

To answer your question, yes you need a braking system.  I prefer the M&G Engineering with proportional braking.

Jim, couldn't agree with you more, just installed the M&G system on my Jeep. No electronics and so simple to install. It works great! No holes to drill, no cables running under the rug, no switches. I am so happy with that decision, thanks to Herman.

If I ever meet the owner of the company I want to shake his hand.

On 4/25/2016 at 2:18 PM, Lawgirl11 said:

This question might have been asked but I am really getting confused. I just got a 2013 Honda CRV that I am going to flat tow behind a 2005 Winnebago Journey Diesel Pusher. I have the Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar system.

My question is should I get a braking system? If so which one?

I know of Brake Buddy Patriot. Are their others?

We went towed a 13 CRV for years. It is a great TOAD that is lightweight.

I believe you could get away without one - but I tow with one because if I was ever in a wreck the guy with the big coach always gets sued.

As to Braking systems

- Brake Buddy Patriot as well as the Blue ox version of them suck. in/out/in/out.

Spend just a little more and get the Air Force one from SMI or another that requires you to do ZERO work every time you hook up.

We have 2 Air Force ones (on two separate tow cars) and love them. Fire and forget

Wrote an articles on it here - http://mhrig.com/2015/10/towing-what-we-use/

Keith Landers

www.mhrig.com

On 4/25/2016 at 3:49 PM, Lawgirl11 said:

Thanks to both answers. I am researching both systems now.

I found my brake buddy on Craig's list. You might look at the classified sections on other forums and see what you can find. 

Bill

After seeking input from fellow FMCA members and Google research, two months ago I opted for the Roadmaster Invisbrake system for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for the simple reason of not having to tap into the air system of a motorhome (one more connection means one more chance of an air leak).   On my two weekend outings since installing the Invisibrake there were no problems (one trip was to the Texas Hill Country for wine tasting and the other trip to Port Arananas beaches).  The Invisibrake is floor mounted and nicely tucked under the driver seat out of the way of rear seat passenger's feet. 

I have had invisi brake and brake master for years, then met the owner in a Camp ground on the way to Perry, GA. FMCA rally this past March.  I had my invisi removed and M&G installed...best system I have had !  two lines to hook up, electric and air...easy. :wub:

Carl

If you don't want to hook into your air, SMI's Duo model works great.  I installed the Duo when I had a gaser. When I moved up to a diesel, I have continued to use the Duo without problems.  A great system.

M&G is cheap and easy to install and if you are a real cheap as I am they have used rebuilt units for half price at about $300.  The M&G brake is just a cylender with a piston with a large O ring nothing to wear out but the O ring , as far as the installation you don't have to be a expert mechanic to do the installation. Best and simplest system I have ever had.

walt

10 hours ago, Walt2137 said:

M&G is cheap and easy to install and if you are a real cheap as I am they have used rebuilt units for half price at about $300.  The M&G brake is just a cylender with a piston with a large O ring nothing to wear out but the O ring , as far as the installation you don't have to be a expert mechanic to do the installation. Best and simplest system I have ever had.

walt

Walt, I also bought the rebuilt cylinder.

yea, very simple design that works great!