Sign in to follow this  
gaylemarlowe

Oil Seepage On Tag

Hi Guys,

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4320 on Spartan chassis. When we went to Texas this winter, I noticed a small amount of oil being thrown from the right tag hub cap. Pulled the hub cap and found the cast wheel hub quite oily and the oil level down just below minimum. Pulled the clear plastic viewing cap with the rubber plug in it and thought the gasket looked a little suspicious. So got a new gasket, sealed it, bolted it on, filled with oil. Made the trip back to Colorado and the oil flinging problem is still there. I pulled the center cap off and it looks just like it did before I changed the gasket!! Oil level is again down to minimum. What am I missing?

Oh, and for the ones out there that have the similar coach, I got the recall on my steering box bracket and am going to the Spartan plant in June to have the recall done. If you haven't heard of it, you should check your coach serial and year for the applicable coaches.

And spring has finally arrived!! :)

Probably need to pull the tag wheel, inspect the bearings, replace if needed, or maybe just correct the play in it and then replace the seal. There is an oil seal that has probably gone bad. Brake pads are probably soaked with oil also if it is leaking that bad.

Gayle,

Good advise from kay. But before pulling the wheel, which most folks have no way to do so at home, you need to inspect the back side of the tag. Is there evidence of oil being slung out the back of the hub. And if so then there is a good chance of a bad seal and needs replacing as kay suggest. However if there is none then your oil bath hub may need to be removed and inspected for a crack, and/or a bad gasket ( there is and inner and outer gasket) This you can do at home.

Good luck and Happy travels.

Herman

Yup, oil on the back side of wheel and drum. Sooooo, will have it fixed when I get to Spartan factory next month as I have no way to get the wheel off. My little 1/2" air impact wrench just sets and chatters away happily but does not loosen anything that large!!!

If the trip will be very long, I would purchase some 140 wt gear oil to keep adding to that hub and check at least every hundred miles. Not to be confused with using 140 after the fix, but should last longer before leaking out.