kenh4748

Best Route: Salt Lake City To Colter Bay RV Park

Question

Going in our 38' Damon Astoria towing a Chevy Capriva. Want to know best route to Colter Bay camp ground off 15 North. First leg of 3 month, 9500 mile retirement trip.

4 answers to this question

Colter Bay is in Wyoming and the Tetons, Haven't been there in decades but have been all over that part of the country where are you coming from, how far South? There are a myriad of routes all spectacular.

B

Do not know 33 or where it is. 191/287/89 no problem good roads but far from the most scenic. 191 from Rock Springs traverses a pretty barren uranium mining area . If you are looking to check out Lander it is the only way. 

Another stop on that route of interest would be South of Dubois, Brooks Lake Lodge. It is on the historic registry and is a huge log lodge built in the 1900sby Morton of Morton Salt. It sits at the base of the Tetons as the back drop for the lodge. I have not been there in years so I do not know the improvements to the access road...it is likely much better than when we were there. Fire place in the dining room would take an eight foot log. Spectacular place, sits on rock pilings so the spring water can just flow out from under it.

I found 33 in Idaho...I would take it with a 40 footer though I have not been on it per say, so you are coming from the Rexburg area and over East. I have taken many a small red line highway and never been disappointed, slower and a narrower road than a heavy one. From Jackson up piece of cake, great road, wide and generally smooth last time we were there 3 or so years ago with the coach. Let us know how it was scenery and such. It is about time we revisit this area.

Hope you have a great time.

Bill Edwards