matt8892@verizon.net

2005 Monaco La Palma slide inoperable

Tonight I put my rear slideout in on my motorhome. It made a popping noise and now it won't go in or out. It is plugged in. It is not a popped fuse. I have no idea what's causing this and we are supposed to go away tomorrow. Again, it is a 2005 Monaco La Palma and it is the rear slide. Has anyone ever heard of problems with the rear slide? Any idea what it could be? Many thanks.

Was the popping noise an electrical pop like a short or was it a pop like something breaking? When you activate the switch do you hear the motor running or is there only silence?

If the motor runs but the slide doesn't move, I would look for a keyway or shear pin on the drive shaft. It is basically a safety feature to keep the motor from being overloaded. If the resistance is too great, the keyway or shear pin will break and this keeps the motor shaft engaged in the shaft that turns the screw to move the slide out. This has happened to a friend of ours with the rear slide on his Windsor. He found a suitable substitute at Home Depot and then got the proper size later from Monaco. He gave me one to keep in case I had the same thing happen. I keep my slide out well lubricated and haven't had a problem yet... This is how the Windsor slide outs work, I don't know about La Palma.

If the motor doesn't run when you activate the switch, then I would look for an electrical short though that should have blown a fuse. The slide out motors are 12V motors so it isn't a circuit breaker but instead it will be a fuse. Check in the bedroom 12V fuse box and in the fuse box under the drivers side window for a multitude of other 12V fuses. They are all clearly labeled. If you replace the fuse and it blows again then you have a more serious problem and need to find the short to fix your problem.

Of course there could always be something like a piece of your personal gear that slipped under or between the wall and the slide out and is jamming it. Examine the slide out around all edges, sides, bottom and top, both inside and outside to look for something which might be wedged into the space between the slide out and another surface.

A final possibility I can think of is a possible failure of the mounting for the motor, breaking loose from its mounting or a failure of the mounting of the track where it attaches to the slide out. Either would result in a failure to move.

Most RV parks have service people on their quick call list. If you are in an RV park, check with the office in the morning and get a recommendation for a mobile repair service. If you are on the road somewhere, consult the Family Motor Coach RV Marketplace online service directory or, if you have the Trailer Life or Woodall's Campground Directory, look for nearby service centers for help.

Matt,

I was checking to see if you found a solution to your problem. Those of us who offer solutions would enjoy hearing what the actual solution to these problems is as it helps us learn from your experience. I'm not so much interested in being right or wrong, just want to know what broke and how it was fixed.

One other possibility occurs to me. The pop you heard could have been the switch shorting out. The switch may also be a cause if the motor is not running at all.

I had a similar experience on my 2002 Admiral[Monaco product]. The rear slideout would not go in or out although the slideout motor was running in both directions. It was the woodruff key shear pin that had let go. Of course this happened in rural Vermont at about 7:00PM on a Saturday.

In any event I located the keys at an auto parts store and installed the new key myself. You'll need a few wrenches and maybe a socket set, I can't recall. Good Luck--Bob