stevetoni

Parking Motorhome on Grass

We are going to park our 45' Entegra Cornerstone on grass for one to two months. We have never parked on grass. We have heavy-duty jack pads but were wondering if anyone knows if we need something under the tires to protect them. If yes, what are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Moore

Steve,

Yes, isolating your tires from the moisture is a good idea. In a month or two, all the grass under the coach will be dead anyway. Covering the ground under the coach with plastic will do no more harm to the grass and will protect your coach's underbody from moisture.

If no plastic, use 2X10" to get the tires off the ground.

Be sure if using 2X10 to use pressure treated, untreated will attract termites and other bugs that you want like coming near the coach. Pressure treated is laden with arsenic to kill the insects that try to infect it. I bought a stall mat from tractor supply, and cut it to a good fit to place under my tires wherever I park, grass, stone, asphalt, or concrete, cuts easily with a razor knife, I have air leveling and the tires never leave the ground, and I am an adamant person that rubber tires just fair better when not rolling, to be parked on like material. Of course plastic is good and easy to find.

All the above.  I have also parked on grass, but not for that long of a time. However, it rained and if you have leveling jacks think about putting something under them. Once with 12x12" 3/4 plywood the wood still sunk into the ground about 2-3 inches.  The wood did keep the jack from sinking in.

Also be careful of running generator while parked for a long time on grass as the hot exhaust can cause problems. 

I used flexible plastic cutting boards under the tires. Won't keep the tires from sinking but will protect them. The jack pads should keep the tires from sinking much.

The flexible cutting boards are light and easy to store.

That is correct, no arsenic since 2004, but either zinc or copper oxide is still used in its place, thanks to the good ole EPA, the newest form still helps deter insects.

I use 3/4" plywood cut 2 feet by 2 feel and put two under each jack.  That works very well on wet grass and sand.  

You only need one sheet of plywood and if you get at Lowes they will cut it for you for free.