rpbuttery

Diesel Exhaust Fluid

Rather mundane question, but what has the Forum found to be the most convenient and economical means of buying DEF, and getting it into the DEF tank.

My DEF tank is on the rear passenger side which makes filling at the diesel fuel pump a two step process.  (Those truckers don't always take that well.  ?)

I use the def pump when I fill up but ours is on the DS. You might want to check out Walmart, they now sell their own brand of DEF for a good price and is supposed to be just as good as others..

Regarding DEF, It does not like high temperatures.

DEF will degrade over time depending on temperature and exposure to sun light. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily beone year.

Cummings PDF file on DEF.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB10033.pdf

Ford PDF File on DEF

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/DEF%20Shelf%20Life%20and%20Fluid%20Quality.pdf

Hope this helps.

Rich.

How lousy can a manufacturer be? If def is on opposite side from fuel tank, most of the truck stops are equipped to fill from either side, maybe just pull forward and use the tandem pump from the other side if this the case. I don't know how the truck stops that you trade in your part of the country, but most of the Loves and Pilot/FlyingJ's around this area have an RV island out in the area close to where motorcars fill, If this is the case, who cares what the truckers think if you use these areas. Good luck with your project, and happy trails.

My take after asking a couple of factory reps was the left side was to crowded to put the tank on that side. I think I read that some are trying to address this issue. I don't use DEF but I would think it would be pretty easy to use the pump on the right side to fill the DEF tank. Even if you have to wait for the trucker on that side to get done. Just don't wait till it is near empty. From what I was told you can get several fill ups before you need to add DEF so you should be able to get it done. I did talk to a guy who carried a 5gal gas can and used it to fill his DEF tank. Seemed like a lot of work.

Bill 

While room in basement side to side may be an issue, I think an equally important issue is that manufacturers do not trust (not sure they are incorrect) that the American public KNOWS not to put DEF in the diesel tank (which quickly destroys the engine/injection system). 

If not physically possible to put DEF in the diesel tank-- less risk.

2 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

How lousy can a manufacturer be? If def is on opposite side from fuel tank, most of the truck stops are equipped to fill from either side, maybe just pull forward and use the tandem pump from the other side if this the case. I don't know how the truck stops that you trade in your part of the country, but most of the Loves and Pilot/FlyingJ's around this area have an RV island out in the area close to where motorcars fill, If this is the case, who cares what the truckers think if you use these areas. Good luck with your project, and happy trails.

Kay, The RV islands at many of the truck stops can be a very tight fit. The dump stations in most of the Flying J stops has way more room then the fuel islands and many of them dispense diesel from the same locations that cars use. Many are very close to the station and very little space the turn when finished fulling.

Regarding the location of the DEF filler location is located at the rear and the Diesel fulling point is right below the driver or passenger sets. One needs to move forward to use the DEF filling point. So drivers must move forward, but not far enough to allow a second vehicle to fuel.

Rich. 

46 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

While room in basement side to side may be an issue, I think an equally important issue is that manufacturers do not trust (not sure they are incorrect) that the American public KNOWS not to put DEF in the diesel tank (which quickly destroys the engine/injection system). 

If not physically possible to put DEF in the diesel tank-- less risk.

I agree Brett, last rally I heard about someone putting diesel in the DEF tank. Lets face  it if it can be messed up someone will.

Bill

Kay,

A 40' MH towing a car does not maneuver around many of the RV Islands.  I'm just glad I don't have DEF at the present time. Now here is a picture.  At a PFJ station, truck side,  the manger came out and put a cone out indicated that the pump was not operating.  An RV came in from the opposite direction to put DEF in the tank.  When finished the manager moved the cone so the RV could exit the entry way.

Don't use DEF but I have not seen a nozzle on both sides at the fuel islands. Seems to be primarily on the driver's side.

2 hours ago, ObedB said:

Don't use DEF but I have not seen a nozzle on both sides at the fuel islands. Seems to be primarily on the driver's side.

Never seen DEF pumps on both sides of a truck lane. Also, never seen DEF in the RV lanes, although I avoid the RV lanes at FJ for many of the reasons stated earlier. Only go in RV lanes when that's where the Propane fillup is.

DEF is non flammable. It is 32.5 percent urea and 67.5 deionized water.  What I hope is a novel idea. Purchase two 5 gallon kerosene jugs from Tractor Supply or other sources. Place masking tape on the jugs  and mark them with the most recent purchase date and quantity. When you stop for diesel, fill a jug with DEF and note amount and date.

Rich,  of Dick  and Lois, notes that there is a relatively short shelf life on DEF. A year or so. Purchase a Kero World Kerosene pump from local sources or the net. $16 or so plus tax. They use two D Cell batteries and work very well. Working on our third year pumping kerosene for supplemental heat with one and have a new pump in reserve. 

You save 30 to 40 cents over buying it by the 2.5 container in Wally's World and you don't have to PO the dreaded grouchy trucker. Not me though. Always enjoyed filling up next to or behind a DP.  Dreamed of owning  one and now we do.??

Sounds like a great idea ObedB, I have one of those Kero pumps in the coach for emergency purposes, works great.

Sorry to have even stated anything about the subject, some people don't bother to read the entire post, just start complaining. I did check the local FlyingJ where I buy fuel very often, and there is room for me to maneuver my 41.5 foot bus with car on tow dolly through RV island, but DEF is not available at the RV pumps, it can be purchased inside in the 2.5 gal container. Yes it is available in the truck lanes.

Over a couple of months, I watched PU truck owners filling their DEF with 2.5 gallon jugs, after they threw them away. I recycled them in my possession. Filled them using bulk dispenser and then placed into milk crates that I carry in my basement.

I always have 5 extra gallons for myself and the other guy in the campground who is low.

As to other(s) not reading the entire posts, some use the forums to post idle chat and catch up on old friendships, with out adding anything to the content of the thread.

The kerosene cans from Tractor Supply are a heavier gauge plastic, but reusing containers is a good idea. Filling containers at  a diesel island and then pumping it into the DEF tank after fueling seems a lot easier then having a truck stop employee close off a pump island for a DP to flip around in order to fill directly from the pump. A busy truckstop would first require the attendant to put the cone behind someone setting in line to fill, or luckily behind a truck at the pumps with nobody behind him. Could cause a little resentment if observed by some of America's hardest working employees. Unless you have done it, you couldn't possibly understand what I mean. Turnover rate for drivers is very high. 

The Keroworld battery powered pump is rated at 1.8 gallons per minute. I understand that it does not take much DEF per gallon of fuel to keep a rig rolling. My last truck was a 2001 Western Star and our coach is a 2003 Phaeton. I missed all of the associated fun?. 

Def can be purchased in several size jugs, just purchase one full and then I would just keep some extra in the basement, maybe fill my container up while fueling the diesel so I didn't have to move the coach. We looked at a 2013 Excursion and the def tank was in the back on the right side in a compartment, so you had to swing the door open to access it. I can tell you the door was too large to swing open at most fueling stations without it striking something.

The odd part is the tanks are usually away from heat like Rich mentioned, but that chassis had the Def tank right next to the particulate filter/exhaust system.

I buy mine at Wally World.  It's easier to fill the DEF tank when parked some where and not at a busy truck stop trying to refuel at the same time.  Plus, WM has come out with their own brand of DEF which is about $4 cheaper for 2.5 gallons than the brand name.

Still more expensive than filling a container at a fuel island and adding it to the onboard def tank later. Plus you do both things automatically. Prevents the OH S****. I forgot the DEF at Walmart, Costco, etc.

Landfills are full of plastic containers, and landfills are becoming eyesores. Nothing environmentally friendly about a DP getting an often exaggerated 8 or 9 miles per gallon. Some claim more, but when you head into a stiff head wind or into hilly or mountainous territory, I am sure those numbers change. Never confuse me with a tree hugger, but I do what I can.  I love RVing . My fuel mileage with an 18 wheeler was a low at 5 but usually between 6 or short of 7. But I often grossed 80,000 lbs. Had permits to legally gross 90,000 lbs hauling ocean containers in PA and MD. It was freight/ not oak cabinets and leather seats. I would reuse containers for DEF if I had a newer RV.