sunsetryder

Towing a 2016 Ford Expedition

The FMCA towing guide does not list the the 2016 Ford Expedition yet the owners manual gives instructions for towing the models with AWD.  Anyone with first hand knowledge or experience?

I see nothing in the manual about an AWD model, AWD is not the same as Four Wheel Drive, it would not have a transfer case. Page 217 does state that a four wheel drive model can be towed by following the instructions.

I think that that FMCA towing guide only list all models the manufacturers submit to them. Ford manuals are most likely  generic to some degree, and maybe the 2016 Expedition is an AWD not four wheel drive, I don't know-- this only speculation.

Welcome to the forum and maybe someone that owns one and is using it will give a definitive answer.

• Thanks for your feedback.
  • It "is" 4 wheel drive and NOT all wheel drive like I stated.  The Honda CRV I used to tow was AWD and I should have known the difference.  Recently I have been towing a two wheel drive 2012 GMC Acadia and had switches installed so I didn't have to pull fuses.  Looking for something a little larger.  Ford products you generally don't have to pull fuses.

Thanks again.

Pulling a rig that heavy WILL require supplemental braking.  Depending on which brake system you choose, there may be some battery drain involved.  I tow a F150 4x4 and use an RVI brake system.  Three to four hours of towing seems to be OK but longer times will draw the battery down some - perhaps not enough to prevent starting the toad but I chose not to drain the battery at all and installed a charge line from the coach.  I left the RVI plugged in overnight once and woke up to a dead battery.

Lenp

Thanks.  I have been using a RVI supplemental toad charging system on my GMC Acadia and would continue to use it on the Expedition if I go that route.  I have always used supplemental breaking (Blue Ox), unplug it and run the toad engine each night.  If I am going across country and not unhooking for several days I also plug in a supplemental drip charge over night.  So far OK.

Does your F150 have any of the accident avoidance systems installed?  I wondered how that stuff would work on a vehicle being towed.  None of the cars I have ever owned had it, but I see that some of the newer vehicles do.

Thanks again,

My F150 does not have any accident avoidance system on it.  I certainly don't know how they would react but would expect them to not be operational when the key is OFF but not in the LOCKED position.  Certainly worth checking though.

Lenp