LSeleen

Need Help Through The Mountains...

Question

2 answers to this question

Ability to negotiate mountains in a heavy vehicle depends on TWO factors:

The vehicle (including things like mechanical condition, presence of exhaust or engine compression brake, etc).

Experience of the driver in mountain conditions.

And, actually the second is the more critical. 

Hopefully others can give you road conditions, but we do not know your experience in mountains with a heavy vehicle.

Let us know, and if you are not experienced, perhaps we can offer insights that will shorten the learning curve.

So, please let us know what coach you have (along with engine/presence of exhaust brake or engine compression brake) AND your experience in mountain driving in a heavy vehicle.

This time of the year double back from Arco on routes 22/33 and take 22 when it splits off and heads to route 28 north to Salmon Idaho and rejoin US93 north to Missoula. All truck routes. You will be fine unless there is a spring snow storm. Can happen up there. Check weather before you go to be sure. I have not run Arco to Salmon on US93. Have run North from the Rexburg area on route 28 to US 93 and on to Missoula. Maybe 300 or so miles going that way from Arco.

If you are only comfortable on Interstate Highways,head to Rexburg and north on I-15 to I-90  then on to Missoula. Another 40 or 50 miles or so. Maybe a bit more. This time of the year it is still all about the weather in that area.