Sign in to follow this  
kjdavis

Break Buddy problems.

Looking for some advice. Wife & I have been camping for years with travel trailers/5th wheels but last year bought a Fleetwood Fiesta class A motorhome. Over the winter we set it up to tow our Jeep and when we towed the first time the 'brake buddy' drained the battery on the Jeep (luckily we only went from CT to RI). The BB was used when we bought it and we think it died (it also seems to have shorted out the plug in the Jeep that it was plugged into) so we are looking into other options. We have a 2 week trip planned at the end of the month so we need to figure this out pretty soon. What do you folks use for your braking systems? And has anyone encountered an issue with battery drainage? Thanks all!

We use the RVI brake system and we like it. Easy to set up, no issues with power drain, transferable to another vehicle easily (which we just did). It is an initeria system so there is just a fraction of lag when you apply the DP brakes to when the towed brakes engage, but we like it.

I use a BB as well toading a Jeep....never had any of the problems you mention. The only time there is any real amount of electrical draw on the BB is when it is charging the air system...if the used system has a leak this could be the cause as it would be recharging often. as for the jeep plug hopefully it only blew the fuse (as it is designed to) as most standard cigarette plugs will not handle the continues amps needed to charge the BB system.

Call BB they will tell you the size wire needed to run the BB without overloading the jeeps wire, you may need to run a bigger wire. I have the wireless system that shows me when my BB is activated, this gave me the ability to better set the sensitivity of when the BB activated, there by not putting on the jeeps brakes unless really needed and limiting the recharge of the system.