CarlAda

Toad Battery Question

I'm towing a 2007 Cadillac CTS behind my 40 ft Country Coach DP.   I have a Toad Charge installed from the coach to the toad.  It's been in use for about a year and I'm starting to have issues with it (new this week).  Traveling X-country and the first day no issues.  However, my battery has not been getting charged the last 4 days.  I've measured 13.8 amps while idling the coach at the Toad Charge module just before the toad battery, but the battery keeps getting run down.  My particular setup requires that the key be left in and all the way to the left while towing (car in neutral, obviously).  Remco recommends pulling 2 fuses (not readily accessible) but that's without the charge line.  As I said, it's worked fine in the past.

I am able to jump the car with a Genius Jump Start and charge it using the charger.  When driving the car, I see the alternator output around 14.4.  Next day towing and the battery drains.  I've checked to make sure nothing out of the normal is running and even powered off the auto headlights and auto AC just in case.

So, my question is, if the battery is on  its final legs, would this type of behavior be typical?  I'm not sure how old the battery is, but I know it's more than 3 years old (AC/Delco battery).  My only other thought is that the physical connection of the charge line to the battery posts isn't making good contact, but it seems to be firmly fixed.

I'm about 2000 miles into the trip, en route to Florida, then to SC, then NC, then returning home to Oregon.  Just for info, the CTS uses a Remco pump in order to tow 4 down.  The Toad Charge is this one:  http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html

Thoughts?

Carl

BTW, seeing a lot of fellow travelers on the route and been waving when possible.  Most return the wave or initiate it first.  Having a ball on the trip.  Other than the charge issue, the only problems I've had is that the dash air seems to have lost a lot of its charge and doesn't cool like it did before we left on the trip.  The overhead AC is doing a fine job of keeping us cool in the afternoon (no real issue with discomfort in the morning hours).  Seen quite a few fellow FMCA members in the campgrounds and on the road!

I won't directly answer your question regarding the age of your battery and whether that is the contributing problems, but I will tell you what works for me with a similar type of set up with RVI Brakes Toad charging system. 1.  I tow an Acadia which requires 2 fuses being pulled.  I had a dealer put in switches so I don't have to pull the fuses. 2.  I run the car for at least 10 minutes in the morning before I leave the campground and again for 10 minutes when I arrive. 3.  If I am not going to unhook  for 2 or more days when traveling across country I plug in a trickle charge system I purchased at Advance Auto for the night to keep the battery healthy.  Following this process has worked for me and I have made the trip in reverse from yours 7 times.  Our daughter teaches at the University of Oregon.

BTW - If you got 3 years out of your battery, it has served you well!

Carl, you might check the ground cable hookup for the charge line, it probably does not go all the way to the coach battery, and may have not been getting a proper ground somewhere in the system. I would pull the charge line from your battery, and use an incandescent 12 volt light bulb 15 watts or larger to check how bright it is. A volt meter does not pull enough draw to properly test the set up, but a light bulb can easily tell what is happening.

If the toad battery is questionable, fully charge it and have any auto parts house/Walmart load test it.

Carl, I second Brett's idea and Kay's. could just be as simple as the battery is tired or a connection has become a problem.

Wave; I usually wave to fellow motorhome's passing me, especially when I see an FMCA goose egg. In CG's I will often talk to fellow motorhome folks, if you haven't noticed I like to talk :lol:.

Thanks for the replies, folks.  I'm reaching a stopping point for a bit when we hit Florida and will have the battery checked out/replaced.

Update:  The battery load tested fine.  The last 2 days of travel, I didn't experience problems, but I was starting the car every stop.  I suspect that the ground connection was questionable, so I rewired it to ensure that I had good contact on the battery post.

Hopefully, I've fixed the problem.  Won't fully know for a few days when we hook up and leave Florida en route to South Carolina.

Again, thanks to those that offered thoughts and ideas.