lionhouse75

Bicycle Racks (Again)

Hi all. We are new to Motorhome life (and love it) but we are still figuring things out which is half the fun (and half the anxiety). We grappled with whether to tow a vehicle or not, and so far have decided against it, so far with no regrets (we are not full timers or snowbirds). However, to provide ourselves with both a means of transportation and exercise as well as outdoor fun, we have just purchased two RadRover Electric Fat Bikes. I never realized how difficult finding a bike rack for these would be. They have 4" tires so need a fat tire tray, and weight 60 lbs. each so that is a requirement for weight that is hard to meet by most racks. We have a 2015 Fleetwood Bounder so we are looking for a hitch mount rack. I narrowed it down to a Thule T2 Pro and two others but etrailer.com is telling me that there are NO bike racks approved for the back of a motorhome for that weight. Their reasoning is that mounting it on the back of the Motorhome puts it too far away from the rear axles resulting in too much torque that will cause too much sway and bounce. I was told the only way to do it would be if we mounted the bike rack on the back of a toad, which we aren't doing. 

I find it hard to believe that with the Bounder, which has less extension out from the rear axles than other rigs I've seen, that the torque factor will be an issue. And I have seen other rigs with platform type attachments for motorbikes or other small such items as well. 

Am I taking too much of a risk if I go with a hitch mount bike rack that is rated to handle my bikes (weight, tire size) normally? I don't see any other alternative. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer. 

Peg Mitchell

San Diego, CA

60 pounds each times 2 = 120, and the weight of the rack, 80 to 100 pounds, about 220 at the most, is what I would guess. That's about the average weight of a guy my size. A class 1 receiver, (1 1/4) inch hitch, will carry 300 pounds tongue weight, just doesn't seem too heavy to me on a bounder. Of course one can be mounted on the front and one on the rear, with equal distribution. That just seems like an overkill. Have you considered one of those aluminum wheel chair carriers with a built on ramp like Harbor freight sells, can be easily rigged to carry two of those type bikes. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=wheel+chair+carrier

After looking up your bike, I don't think you will have any problem with them on the back with any rack that is rated for the weight of the two. I was using class 1 hitch only as a reference point to demonstrate what a small load that will handle. I'm reasonably sure that your hitch is at least a class 3, if you do not already have a hitch, I would recommend at least class 3, It is the 2 inch receiver.

I think that I may have figured out why the etrailer person that you may have inquired about the bike rack is confused.:P He probably thinks that you are asking about a Harley Fat Boy bike, that's one like someone like me would have to ride!:lol: But here is one that etrailer sells, it does not say it is for a motorhome, but is rated for up to 60 lbs., per bike.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Kuat/N101.html

Just tell the salesperson that Kay want be riding the bike while in transport. Good luck finding one.

It isn't the hitch rating that is the problem, it is the strength of the rack.  The bouncing that the rack absorbs as you roll down the road is stress on the rack.  The heavier the bikes, the greater the stress and the longer the distance from the rear axles, the longer the lever arm (a lever multiplies force) and thus the more extreme the stress on the rack will be.  When we carry bikes with us, we use a rack on the rear of the car.  That works for us because we'll need that rack as we take our bikes on day trips and ride bike trails and bike paths.  So we need the car rack anyway.  I'd consider modifying a good solid platform rack to support the bikes on their tires while anchoring them securely to the platform so they can't get away.  You might consider having someone build a custom platform rack or modifying one for you. A little welding should be able to take a solid platform and make it suitable for your needs.  We know a couple who have trikes (three wheel bicycles).  They carried theirs for many years on a platform on the back of their coach.  They had a custom built platform and it worked well for them.

Peg.  Welcome to the Forum!

In 1981, my wife and I had a 30' Apollo Class "A" gas coach.  We towed a 4x4 and we had a hitch attached to the front of the coach so that we could carry 2 Honda 50cc bikes on a rack that was built in Gary, IN.  Don't remember name of Company.  The rack raised/lowered by hydraulics..  There are several Companies on the internet that makes them now.  We traded in the 50's for 80's and did the same thing on a 1983 Apollo 33' and a 1987 Barth 34' DP.  It's not overkill, just a solution! :D

Carl C.

OK, since we are talking bikes. I have the 2 bikes and the rack (receiver mount on the back of my Toad) but would like to know if anybody can stear me towards a good cover. Looking at the Roadbag series but before ordering I thought I would check in here to see if anybody has a different option. Thanks.

Pedal power bikes or motor?  I have used a sail (sailboats) making shop in Clear Lake, Texas for years.  I give them the dimensions and they make me canvas covers for anything.  BBQ Pit to Bikes and Motor cycles!  Very cost effective and water proof ! :D

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Pedal power bikes or motor?  I have used a sail (sailboats) making shop in Clear Lake, Texas for years.  I give them the dimensions and they make me canvas covers for anything.  BBQ Pit to Bikes and Motor cycles!  Very cost effective and water proof ! :D

Pedal power. That sounds like a good idea. Would you message me their contact info? Thanks

A little closer...I use these people for anything related like that. They made me covers for my service trucks to protect the air compressors, generators and hose reels. They also altered the nose bra on the coach when I couldn't find one make, model specific.

http://www.maupholstery.com/

On 8/23/2017 at 5:35 AM, jleamont said:

A little closer...I use these people for anything related like that. They made me covers for my service trucks to protect the air compressors, generators and hose reels. They also altered the nose bra on the coach when I couldn't find one make, model specific.

http://www.maupholstery.com/

Great idea, thanks