kentelarsen

Cost of Use

Around the 1/4 level (on the gauge). However I notice that like even automobiles the gauge will show full for some time but when it begins to go down it drops rapidly. 

Herman

3 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Around the 1/4 level (on the gauge)

Yeah, I need pull my pick up tube, and inspect it and maybe extend it. Ours just below 1/2 tank it shuts down!

Joe I can see your point with air leveling it would be no problem I was thinking of how mine works air has to dump then I would have to use the stif legs to tilt 

John,

When I fill up I just drop one side. I do not have Jacks just air.  I wouldn't use a jack to raise one side.  When I dump the air on one side it lowers the entire side and doesn't torque the chassis. I would be afraid of that with hydraulics.  Also most all truck lanes are Asphalt soaked in diesel and is soft. (for some unknown reason jacks love to sink into soft asphalt and not come out)

The reason coaches with air bags but not air leveling want you to dump your air, is to lower the unit as much as you can before extending the jacks so they will not have to travel so far to level. 

Herman

No matter how you look at it, it is expensive. When I first thought about rving I ask about the cost of something and someone said ": If you have to ask the cost, you can't afford it" It's all in the pleasure you get from it.

40 minutes ago, jrock said:

Joe I can see your point with air leveling it would be no problem I was thinking of how mine works air has to dump then I would have to use the stif legs to tilt 

I hadn't given that one bit of thought how much different it would be with jacks vs air leveling. If I had jacks only I wouldn't bother to do it.

Herman, my coach don't twist, due to the similar chassis I would think you would be the same. 

I pulled out of a CG two years ago onto a small road, I had to turn 90 degrees just after the opening and the left front tire was in the air, i.e. not on the ground ( I didn't know it it the time) DW opened the door to check my tail swing through the gates, stepped out, started to holler the wheel is off the ground, why is it spinning :o.  Afterwards I thought about how and why the door wasn't pinched closed and why the floor tile is still intact, I expected the worse...no signs of any flexion. Needless to say we will not go back to that place!

Cost of use, last year I spent about $450.00 on maintenance and $2300 for tires (customizing upgrades are not figured into this as they were personal preference, not needed), we put 13,000 miles on it. Had it not been for the new tires I would have been very exited over that money spent!

2 minutes ago, F357981 said:

No matter how you look at it, it is expensive. When I first thought about rving I ask about the cost of something and someone said ": If you have to ask the cost, you can't afford it" It's all in the pleasure you get from it.

I agree 100%! the memories and enjoyment from my family I cannot put a price on~!

It's all about "priorities" isn't it???

RV's are great.. they can take you to pretty remote locations and still have your sleeping accommodations with you...you definitely pay for this convenience....

Look, we all made choices about the particular rig we purchased and the reasons we did it..   OK, this thread got me thinking... what were my costs...

Actually,  I revisited this more closely... We actually traveled 10,646 miles..at an average of 18 MPG.. that's 591  gallons of fuel.... And, I figured on the high side of $3 per gallon... SO, that's $1,773 for fuel costs.. or just under 17 cents per mile...

There are  fixed costs annually for maintenance,  insurance, registration,  monthly payment ( if you have one)  whether you drive 5,000 miles or ZERO miles. You need to get oil changes based on time or mileage... Even tires, batteries and other things have to replaced over time due to age whether or not the tires show a  significant amount wear...One of the first things I did after purchasing our rig was replace all the tires and batteries.. they were 6 years old and started to show signs of small cracks in the rubber.... Don't know about the rest of you, but, the last thing I want is a tire failure on the road in an RV.. and got the tire pressure monitor system as well...These are all fixed costs and regular maintenance items..SO,  I excluded all  of these costs..in my calculations for just running the rig....

You cannot have deferred maintenance on an RV.... it's unsafe to operate.

And,  no matter where you are at home or in the RV, you have food expenses, so, let's skip this as well... Which leaves the cost for parking, sight seeing and staying at RV parks or even a hotel once in a while.. YES, we actually have done this.. And, we've even boon docked a few times and stayed at BLM lands.  You control how much or how little money you spend on things.. my point is, just enjoy your rig and your travels... 

All of these rigs depreciate, like cars....so I wouldn't get excited worrying about it..it happens..we all know that..so, why even factor it in.?? 

Just use the RV and get the experience you acquired it for... 

For me, I decided that the overall cost of taking it out places trumped all other considerations... fuel consumption over time is the most expensive thing you put in your rig...and I didn't want that to prevent me from going places with it. 

Again, priorities...

1 hour ago, F357981 said:

Agree completely