gorm50

Biodiesel and Pre EPA 02 engines

I own a 1999 Discovery with a Cummins 5.9 ISB engine with 78k miles

Cummins says my engine will "tolerate" 5% biodiesel but no more. 

Recently noted at Murphy USA (WalMart) down south their pumps are tagged with warnings that biodiesel content could vary from 5% to 20%.but no one could quote the percentage therein. 

Cummins responded with a BS response addressing Post EPA 02 engines but offered NOTHING on what I can do to protect, maintain my older engine.  (Am still pressing for a responsible answer)

Understand BP is ONLY retailer that refines their own diesel.  Pilot / Flying J allegedly blend their own levels, but everyone else gets what the area refiner distributes. Other than using red dyed heating oil (illegal for road use I know) does anyone have any other suggestions? 

Any suggestions for over-wintering storage?  Have been using Stabil Diesel. 

Anyone aware of a website source for biodiesel requirements by State? 

Understand there are EPA incentives for employing higher blends?  With fossil costling less than blending in biodiesel I cannot understand why a retailer / refiner would want to ADD biodiesel at a percentage greater than mandated by law but whoever believes our government is logical, makes much sense??

HELP, please. 

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, I have a Cummins engine from around the same build date.

The mechanical parts of the engines do not really have a problem with Bio fuels. Yes B-05 is tolerated and as the percentage Bio increases it does have some adverse affects on rubber fuel lines and seals used in the outboard mounted items that come in direct contact with the fuel, but the first item that failed for me was the Fuel lift pump. It did not like the ULSD fuel and the seals failed.  

The second issue regarding bio is it can be a breeding ground for algae, so one needs to add a biocide to the keep it from forming. A real issue if the coach sets for extended periods of time. When you are driving longer distances and adding fuel it is not as critical as the fuel suppliers filter the fuel. 

The third issue is the fact that Bio has higher lubricity and will loosen materials in that have been building up the fuel system, this issue will in most cases require the replacement of fuel filters on a different schedule unit the system is purged of items that plug filters.

So carry spares.

Rich.