wandas1

Confused about ''Type,'' ''Class'' of Motorhomes

I am in need of some clarification please. One the FMCA sites all motorhomes are referred to as "type" A, B or C. On just about every other site and on manufacturer brochures, the term is generally "Class" A, B or C. Is there a reason for this?

Wandas1, welcome to the FMCA forum!

There is no reason that I know for the difference.  People are type A or type B.  :P  Motor homes are class A, class B or class C.  I've never noticed that it is always type A on FMCA.  I'm certain you will find variations as you read more posts.  The forum is informal communication and some people are not as precise as others.  Be tolerant of others, be friendly and you'll find friends and some knowledgeable people willing to share their experience and expertise with you.

A few years ago, the term "class" was perceived to be a negative; therefore, FMCA and some other RV organizations started using "type".  Not everyone does, nor is it used consistently throughout FMCA or the RV industry.

The issue is being politically correct. If any word or phrase can be interpenetrated in more then one way block it. Really like my Nick Name, but it falls into the not politically correct column !  The fact that the issue came up at the meet the members of the Forum gathering, Some members Know me by my nick name and not Rich or Richard because of the moniker name and my badge name where different. So I think I will ask to be known as **** (This is going to be xed out) at the next Rally.

Rich.

25 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Sorry but the badges at National aren't large enough for,

" Richard the Magnificent and Source of All Wisdom"

Herman 

Herman, Simple fix just need to use ***** and some of the members will Know. 

Rich.

D***

What you are facing is censorship, not political correctness.  It is legal for FMCA to regulate the language used on its web site, this is not a public forum, it is a private forum hosted by FMCA for FMCA members.  You have the unfortunate circumstance of having a name which is associated with a slang term for the male sexual organ.  If the computer program were "intelligent" enough, it could distinguish between D*** and d*** by analyzing how it is used in any given circumstance.  Unfortunately, computers or at least this computer program isn't that "smart."  So you are a victim of circumstance and the limited capabilities of the computer program.

The question of calling RV's a class or type is certainly what people are describing as political correctness.  I dislike the term political correctness.  It is a demeaning term for what are efforts to make our use of language less offensive, more respectful.  Like it or not, we live in a very open, multi-cultural society.  Such a society has many potential conflicts.  We manage to make it work because we can be different and still respect one another.  When that respect breaks down conflict erupts.  Language does convey a whole range of ideas, emotions and feelings.  Words can convey love, respect, tolerance, intolerance or hate.  I'm for choosing words that help us get along peacefully.  The alternative is too horrible to contemplate.

All that said, the first amendment of the US Constitution guarantees free speech.  Everyone is free to speak in any way they want in the public forum.  I along with a succession of our ancestors, politicians, lawyers, citizens and soldiers have fought to preserve that right.

4 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

" Richard the Magnificent and Source of All Wisdom"

Herman, You will need to confer with the DW to get clarification on Magnificent and Wisdom. Thanks for the thought regarding ether or both. At times both are lacking though.

Thanks Tom, Been on the receiving end during some conversations between both friends and customers when I was running a business and there is no way to totally prevent it when one or both parties have had less then a perfect day. :lol:

Rich.

Wandas1, I had never noticed this or given it any thought until you mentioned it...interesting. I can see how the use of "Class" could be taken out of context in todays world. Rich, I had the same problem on here a few years ago, I was trying to describe the drivers seating area like you would in an air plane xxxxpit, well it blocked me due to the slang term, I had to Google it, I thought I spelled it incorrectly :lol:. Well I didn't and after I reworded my post, thought about it I got to laughing.

Tom, I concur with you, the term "politically correct" bothers me also, the people that require it and are the reason we have it bother me more.   

On 5/18/2016 at 8:02 AM, DickandLois said:

...The issue is being politically correct...

Rich.

Exactly.  This is a minor issue, but being PC is causing serious problems in other areas.

Here is my definition of politically correct:  Someone who thinks they can pick up a piece of dirt by the clean end.