ROYBON

Driving CA Highway 101

If  memory serves correctly, California Highway 101 is a fairly windy road and it seems not suited for a 40-foot motor coach and toad. I will be traveling south out of Washington, headed to San Francisco.

ROY and PEGGY
T396 TROPICAL 350 HP CAT
AIR FORCE ONE BRAKING SYSTEM
BLUE OX BASE PLATE
2015 JEEP SAHARA

We've driven Highway 101 in Washington and Oregon and enjoyed it.  It isn't too bad, definitely the slow route, take your time and enjoy.  I've never driven the northern California section and the map makes it like a real challenge, probably not the road you want to be on from the California border to where 101 splits into CA 1 and 101.  From there south we've driven it and again, great scenery and slower travel.  It becomes 4 lane well north of San Francisco.  Oregon Hwy 38 is my best guess where to shift from 101 over to I-5. We've driven Oregon 38 in our motor home, slow but safe.  Hwy 101 in southern Oregon doesn't look too bad but there isn't a good way over to I-5 south of Reedsport, OR.

We just drove 101 from San Fran to Washington in Sept. 2015. We left it several times and traversed the numerous redwood forests along the way and no problems at all. the Oregon section piece of cake drive wide two lane all the way border to border. Saw numerous 40 and larger in the forests.  Now 1 in Calif. vey slow

Bill Edwards