egnewsom

2016 Explorer Flat Towing - Disconnect The Battery?

My 2016 Ford Explorer Owner's Manual instructions for flat towing include disconnecting the negative side of the battery. 

Does anyone know if this is to prevent battery drain or if there are systems that must be without power to prevent damage during flat towing.  I have installed a trickle charger from the motorhome so battery drain shouldn't be an issue. 

If I have to remove the negative battery cable I'll have t run supplemental power to the RVi braking system I use.  

Thanks

I have talked to several local Ford service and sales people.  The only one with an answer states that the battery is disconnedted to avoid damage to the 4WD system and may have something to do with systems similar to ABS;  I would like to know if I can use the positive terminal instead of the negative terminal. With the negative terminal, I have to go under the hood to disconnect.  With the positive terminal, I can install a disconnect with a powered switch inside the vehicle.  Does anyone know about the battery?

Both of you.  Welcome to the Forum!

I had the same situation on a 2009 Jeep wrangler.  Tried it both ways, with negative off, I was able to start Jeep!  With hot off, I had to re-program the computer...no fun!  Then just by passing battery with roof mounted lights and using coach power...I had to jump start the jeep!  Why?  to this day, I don't know.  Go with what the Ford manual say's! :o

Carl

I just ordered the RViBrake 3 for the 2017 Explorer we picked up 5 days ago.  When I ordered my RVi system, I bought the Towed Battery Disconnect ($13.00) from them to disconnect the negative terminal.  I am curious what you are currently doing for you on your 2016?  What method do you go with for your towed vehicle brake lighting?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I have my lights wired with diodes and just plug into my coach. The diodes (4 of them) are wired into your lights so power will not feed back into your vehicles system.

I have installed at least 20 systems for myself and friends. You can purchase the kits from most RV stores or on line. Or you can have most RV repair shops install them for you.

Herman