bubhan@bellsouth.net

Banks Power Pack System

I am considering installing the banks power pack system on my 05 Bounder (Ford V10). I pull a jeep wrangler and the Bounder struggles on hills when pulling the jeep. Has anybody had one installed and, if so, how would you rate the performance/pulling ability increase?

Hi Newbee,

Actually, I am a newbee also. Just joined last month and decided to log on today. I also had a question regarding the Banks Power Pack System. Only my question was about the proper gear to tow in. A little about me. My husband installed the Banks on our 1998 Bounder and he loved it. We traveled to the Maritimes and across the Rockies and never had a problem with power. There were times when we were able to pass deisel rigs on inclines. Well, he passed away in 2002 without showing me how to use the gearing. Sometimes when I am towing, I feel like I am in the wrong gear. So I was going to see if anyone knew the correct gear to tow in. I am not a mechanic obviously, but remembering what my husband said about the Banks, I would recommend it to anyone. He was a very smart man when it came to mechanics. I hope you get an answer to your question. And if you do, maybe you could pass some info on to me. Good luck.

I am considering installing the banks power pack system on my 05 Bounder (Ford V10). I pull a jeep wrangler and the Bounder struggles on hills when pulling the jeep. Has anybody had one installed and, if so, how would you rate the performance/pulling ability increase.

Last month I inquired about the Banks for my '06 V-10. The tech told me he would probably get fired for telling me but it would not make that much of a difference for my rig. He said it made a world of difference for trucks pulling trailers etc though.

Hi Newbee,

Actually, I am a newbee also. Just joined last month and decided to log on today. I also had a question regarding the Banks Power Pack System. Only my question was about the proper gear to tow in. A little about me. My husband installed the Banks on our 1998 Bounder and he loved it. We traveled to the Maritimes and across the Rockies and never had a problem with power. There were times when we were able to pass deisel rigs on inclines. Well, he passed away in 2002 without showing me how to use the gearing. Sometimes when I am towing, I feel like I am in the wrong gear. So I was going to see if anyone knew the correct gear to tow in. I am not a mechanic obviously, but remembering what my husband said about the Banks, I would recommend it to anyone. He was a very smart man when it came to mechanics. I hope you get an answer to your question. And if you do, maybe you could pass some info on to me. Good luck.

Your automatic transmission should make the correct choices for gears whether you're towing or not. Just don't allow the engine to bog down. In other words, keep the RPM up when going uphill. If your Bounder is on a Ford chassis, your tranny has a towing mode -- use it. :rolleyes:

Last month I inquired about the Banks for my '06 V-10. The tech told me he would probably get fired for telling me but it would not make that much of a difference for my rig. He said it made a world of difference for trucks pulling trailers etc though.

I got the whole Banks system installed on my '08 Coachmen Concorde class C, 31' triple slide, last December. I don't know which "tech" you were talking to but my experience with the Banks factory in Azusa, CA, including the Banks family themselves, was simply outstanding. Not only did the installation go flawlessly and on schedule, but I am getting twice the advertised fuel economy improvement and the power is simply amazing. I tow a 5000 lb car and tow dolly combination. When a company underpromises and overdelivers, I tend to be really, really happy.

I am getting twice the advertised fuel economy improvement and the power is simply amazing.

What ARE your before and after MPG's-- I assume these were averages over several tanks and under similar driving conditions?

You say the power is simply amazing. By chance did you do any timed zero to highway speed before and after?

In general, older engines experiences more improvement by tuning such as Banks. In more recent times, the chassis makers have done quite a lot better job of tuning intake and exhaust right from the factory.

Thanks. FACTS are scarce here.

Brett Wolfe

I had the banks power pack insalled on our 2004 class c with the v-10 made a big diffrence in power . We tow a jeep cherokee the main reason i had it installed was to get more power . But your v-10 comes out of the factory with more hp than mine . Me and my wife like it besides the exhaust has a nice rumble to it. mhnut.

Banks Power Pack Installed

I have a horror story concerning Banks Power Systems. Discovering a cracked exhaust manifold on my 1995 454 Chevrolet Winnabago I decided to repair problem with a Banks system. Cost $2299.59 and $865.00 for installation...total $3164.59. Yes, this was a lot of lipstick on a pig but as we age we don't necessarly get smarter!

Banks salesman Alex sent me to a company named Animal Enterprises,Inc in Ft Meyers, Fl for the installment of their equipment. After three days the job was complete and I set off expecting to enjoy power and economy. What I found was a broken temperature gauge and oil leaking from my oil pan where the dip stick once entered to check the oil!!

This is where the horror entered the picture. Animal wasn't interested in my problem and threatened me bodily, by phone, not face to face. Banks provided no help what-so-ever except Alex did listen paitently to my phone calls. This could now become a long ugly story but let me be short and say the temp gauge was fixed but it's still is (almost) impossible to check my oil. Alex is the only contact I was able to make with Banks as Alex's manager would never accept or return my calls.

What did I gain by all this upsetting event...not much really. Let's face the fact that what you get for $3164.59 is a set of exhaust headers, new exhaust pipe, more free flowing muffler, and a K&N Air cleaner. Do you think this will make a big difference? My experience with applied math is that I will pay for this system when my motorhome has been driven 240,506.91 miles!!

Buy a set of headers from your local speed shop, a new muffler form your exhaust shop, a K&N air filter, and for about $500 you will have the same system plus have your local muffler shop install everything for another $500 and BINGO Banks power for 1/3 the cost. AND you won't have to deal with Animal Enterprises, Inc and Jeff the" I'm gonna punch your lights out" installer!!!

I HAD POWER PACK INSTALLED ON OUR 2002 SAFARI TREK (WORKHORSE 8.1L GAS) 2 YEARS AGO. ALL AROUND GOOD THING. POWER IS TERRIFIC FOR TOWING, PARTICULARLY PASSING, AND MILEAGE IS BETTER, BUT NOT SPECTACULAR.

FACTORY SUPPORT WAS VERY GOOD.

I have experience with both Ford 460 and Ford V10 310 HP.

I had Camping World install for the 460 in a Coachmen 35ft Mirada. I was happy with it completely except I DID NOT get the increase in MPG they suggested. Why Not, since I had more power I used it and using more power also uses more gas.

The V10 was is in a Winnebago 35U installed at the Banks factory in Azusa, CA. The complete system includes a Transcom and an Automind chips. They do 2 units each morning at the factory. I was happy with the work. It was about $3100.

We drove back to the High Desert (Hesperia) It struggled to climb Cajon Pass and the next morning it was hard to start and kept dying like it was flooding the engine. After a few tries it started and ran fine until I went down in a valley and up the other side. It died at the top. A few more tries and it ran ok.

I called Banks and they told me the Automind chip was defective. They sent a new one over night to a dealer near me and they installed it the next day. I went on my merry way.

A couple months or so I received a letter from Banks telling me that I had not returned the defective chip and unless I did they would bill my credit card for approx $400.

I had a nice conversation with the accounting lady and told her she could not do that since I had only authorized the card for the installation only and also they had not sent the chip TO ME but to the dealer.

I did not hear anymore from them.

I am very happy with the results and the same comments apply on the MPG.

Also to the person that had nothing good to say about their experience, I think they probably were told that the Oil Leakage had nothing to do with the work that was done unless there is an oil line close that was damaged. I hope the leak has been repaired and a response will be printed here.

Camping World installed Banks PowerPack on my previous MH, '92 Airstream 31ft w/454 Chev power plant. The performance improvement was very good, especially on smaller hills. Before Banks the transmission would downshift frequently to keep speed. After Banks the coach maintained speed without downshifting. Milage improved slightly, but my reason for installing Banks was for increased power, and it delivered. Also, the engine ran cooler after Banks. Very satisfied with Banks and the installation by Camping World. I would recommend it based upon my experience.

I recently added the Banks Power Pack to my 8.1 Chevy Workhorse and love it. The mileage has increased about 1.7 mpg, but more importantly the performance is incredible. On my recent trip back from Oregon I averaged 10.7 miles per gallon.

I just went to Pismo Beach and climbed the 7% grade there and went up that hill at 55 mph all the way with no difficulties. The passing of other vehicles without having to downshift is remarkable and painless, not to mention getting on the freeways and getting up to speed quickly.

I am so happy with this set up, I wish I had installed it 3 years ago. The exhaust has a very nice healthy tone to it without being obnoxious or loud.

I was amazed while at Pismo Beach that there were at least 10 other motor homes that had the Banks Power and the few I spoke with all were extremely pleased. Most stated they did not have it installed to obtain better gas mileage, but for the overall performance.

I highly recommend this to everyone. Oh, my Son-in-law has this on his Ford 3/4 ton pickup for towing his 5th wheel and is also very pleased with the additional power and performance.

Good Luck to you

Kirk Shhores

I've had two, one on a '98 Santara 460 and now on the '02 ISC 350. Both have been WELL worth the money, maybe not for fuel economy but for the extra power.

I have experience with both Ford 460 and Ford V10 310 HP.

I had Camping World install for the 460 in a Coachmen 35ft Mirada. I was happy with it completely except I DID NOT get the increase in MPG they suggested. Why Not, since I had more power I used it and using more power also uses more gas.

The V10 was is in a Winnebago 35U installed at the Banks factory in Azusa, CA. The complete system includes a Transcom and an Automind chips. They do 2 units each morning at the factory. I was happy with the work. It was about $3100.

We drove back to the High Desert (Hesperia) It struggled to climb Cajon Pass and the next morning it was hard to start and kept dying like it was flooding the engine. After a few tries it started and ran fine until I went down in a valley and up the other side. It died at the top. A few more tries and it ran ok.

I called Banks and they told me the Automind chip was defective. They sent a new one over night to a dealer near me and they installed it the next day. I went on my merry way.

A couple months or so I received a letter from Banks telling me that I had not returned the defective chip and unless I did they would bill my credit card for approx $400.

I had a nice conversation with the accounting lady and told her she could not do that since I had only authorized the card for the installation only and also they had not sent the chip TO ME but to the dealer.

I did not hear anymore from them.

I am very happy with the results and the same comments apply on the MPG.

Also to the person that had nothing good to say about their experience, I think they probably were told that the Oil Leakage had nothing to do with the work that was done unless there is an oil line close that was damaged. I hope the leak has been repaired and a response will be printed here.

The broken temp gauge was a result of breaking the sending unit while installing the left side header, during install of the right side header the oil dipstick tube was broken loose from the pan where it inserts to measure the oil level...and no it's still not adequately repaired and checking the oil is difficult. The factory or Camping World I'm sure would have done a better job...I didn't want to make this War and Peace...Camping World couldn't work me into their schedule within the time I had available- this led me to Animal Enterprises, and disaster. However, I still contend that headers, K&N air filter, and muffler can provide little measurable performance...if you don't believe me check with Richard Petty .

One post mentions fuel economy improvement of 1.7 mpg with $2.00 gas it'll take over 59,000 miles to break even on cost of system. It's almost impossible to compare mpg on the road because route, wind, speed, stop/start, all provide variables. I used total gas used and miles driven on my 2008 trip to Florida to the 2009 trip and determined there was a slight difference which extrapolated into the 209,000 miles to pay for the purchase price. My bottom line opinion is the cost doesn't justify the performance improvement. American being free certainly allows you your opinion also!! regards, Rbuzz

I am considering installing the banks power pack system on my 05 Bounder (Ford V10). I pull a jeep wrangler and the Bounder struggles on hills when pulling the jeep. Has anybody had one installed and, if so, how would you rate the performance/pulling ability increase?

Banks power installed last year. I also have a Ford V10 and this upgade was an excellent choose.hen I was climbing a mountian and got stuck behind a slow truck I could not my speed higher than 35MPH. Terefore I was stuck there until we reached the top. Now I don't have that problem and I can now maintian a speed of 50 MPH. So I am very pleaed with the extra Hore power in gives.

I own a 35ft 2002 LaPalma with Workhorse 8.1L. After talking with techs and MH owners for almost 4 years I had a Banks package installed in 2006. What I wanted was more power on hills, cooler operating temp, less shifting on the Allison and maybe a little better milage, but gas milage was not the top priority. Also, a couple of times earlier I had experienced some sparkplug wire heating problems. Even though Workhorse gave me great support on this issue it was not completely solved.

First trip out with Banks I noticed more power when climbing the Blue Mts out of Pendleton, Ore. I climbed that hill at least 10mph faster then before and then for the rest of the trip South, I noticed much less shifting in the tranny. The milage at first didn't seem to be an improvement until I realized that it was more consistent when towing my CRV then before. I was now getting 8mpg on a regular basis instead of part of the time. Now I don't know where all this talk of 10mpg is coming from because I have never been able to achieve that at all even when not towing, but I have been able to get 9mpg at times when not towing. Another bonus I was hoping for was no more sparkplug wire burnup problems. Well I been running the same plugwires now for 3 years with no evidence of heat damage.

Overall, I am very pleased with Banks and all the tech support from all sources. As far as justifying this purchase, you can't, the pay back is way down the road. The payback I am getting now is a better overall Motorhome to travel in and that's what I wanted. Besides, who can really justify owning a MotorHome, you do it because you want to. :rolleyes:

In March 2000 I had the Banks System with Transcommand installed on my 1999 National RV Dolphin on a Ford V-10. Although I was told not to expect any change in my mpg (at that time Banks was saying there probably would be no change) I did have an increase in mpg. The increase in power was great....on hills where I normally spent a good deal of time in first gear, I was now able to stay in third gear 80% of the time. On smaller hills where I would have to go out of overdrive before Banks, the MH would now stay in overdrive. The power alone was well worth the money and the increase in mileage was a plus. I have traveled in my Dolphin to all of the lower 48 states as well as all but the two middle provinces of Canada so I feel that my Banks System was given a good testing. To this day I still have no complaints about the cost or the performance. I feel the unit has more than paid for itself.

Chris R.

This is to all of you considering to purchase and install the Banks Power Pack System.

This was the best investment I made for my 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29R. I have a 2004 Ford V-10 chassis. It was sadly lacking power even before I purchased a 2007 4 door Jeep Wrangler to tow. I had the entire package installed at Camping World in Henderson, NV. I did have the transmission module installed also. It does everything that Banks said it would in their advertising. A recent trip thru Denver on I-70 was proof enough for me. I feel the extra power gave me the safety factor that I was looking for. The increase in fuel economy is the frosting on the cake. It was not cheap, but well worth the price. Finally, the folks at Camping World are the best when it comes to after market toys.

George M

Rbuzz95,

What a horror story and with an oil leak that continually rubs salt into the open wound.

Here is what I would do to fix the oil leak:

1: Go to my local Ford dealer with VIN Number; Engine Year; etc. and purchase the "O" ring that is probably missing at the bottom of the dip stick where it enters into the pan.

2: Remove the dip stick tube; there is an attaching bolt at the bottom and the top.

3: Check for the existing "O" ring. If in removing the dip tube housing the "O" ring is not on the tube, feel inside the area where the tube inserts and see if the "O" ring is stuck inside. During the original installation procedure, the "O" ring was probably stuck inside and when the dip tube was re-installed the "O" ring dropped into the pan. :rolleyes:

I know this is not a job you will enjoy (I wouldn't) because this is something you paid hard cash for. But I personally would feel much better it this was my oil leak and "I" fixed it when the "SOB" :) did not do the job right in the first place.

Hope this is the solution - if not, I tried and really feel bad for you as the rest of the group does. Hurt one of us and you hurt us all.

Richard Dahl F180829

2003 Dynamax "Isata 250SL"

Valley Springs, CA

Rbuzz95,

What a horror story and with an oil leak that continually rubs salt into the open wound.

Here is what I would do to fix the oil leak:

1: Go to my local Ford dealer with VIN Number; Engine Year; etc. and purchase the "O" ring that is probably missing at the bottom of the dip stick where it enters into the pan.

2: Remove the dip stick tube; there is an attaching bolt at the bottom and the top.

3: Check for the existing "O" ring. If in removing the dip tube housing the "O" ring is not on the tube, feel inside the area where the tube inserts and see if the "O" ring is stuck inside. During the original installation procedure, the "O" ring was probably stuck inside and when the dip tube was re-installed the "O" ring dropped into the pan. :rolleyes:

I know this is not a job you will enjoy (I wouldn't) because this is something you paid hard cash for. But I personally would feel much better it this was my oil leak and "I" fixed it when the "SOB" :) did not do the job right in the first place.

Hope this is the solution - if not, I tried and really feel bad for you as the rest of the group does. Hurt one of us and you hurt us all.

Richard Dahl F180829

2003 Dynamax "Isata 250SL"

Valley Springs, CA

I appreciate your concern and detailed fix. My engine is a Chevrolet 454 so the trip to Ford might not help! Actually the tube that enters the pan was broken off from the pan and would not allow dip stick to enter pan. I did obtain the joint that allows stick to enter pan and replaced it...what I didn't do is get a new tube, which I should do. The origional tube was so bent and twisted that it makes it difficult for the dip stick to pass thru and enter the pan to do it's job. I got lazy once the oil leak was stopped --and if you start the dip stick just right and push with your fingers it will, with some difficulty, go into the pan and do it's job. I also was concerned with the accuracy of the measurment after the hamfisted disfigurment of the tube so I did an oil change and remarked the dipstick to indicate the proper oil level.

I was trying to point out the importance of the installation. Banks should have been more responsive to my plight as they sent me to this place to have their equipment installed on my motorhome. I do have a case of the red --- over the expense and quality of the installation! It also occurs to me that I should have investigated other alternatives to the Banks System.

There are many good exhaust headers on the market. There are a number of good free flowing mufflers. Pipe is pipe and a K&N air filter can be purchased at any auto parts store, or WalMart! Any legitimate muffler shop could do this work for a third of the cost. Banks is not the only solution to the search for economy and power. I should have been smarter but the broken exhaust manifold, on the road, clouded my judgement.

I have raced cars with SCCA and PCA for years so only have myself to blame! Alterations are best checked on a dynamometer...it doesn't lie or use seat of the pants calculations. I recently purchased a chip for my old Porsche from a company in England, we ran some base line dyno runs on the engine installed the chip re-run the dyno test and discovered I had spent $500 to gain 2 HP at 5700 RPM another brilliant move by "yours truly"!!

regards, rbzz :rolleyes:

I appreciate your concern and detailed fix. My engine is a Chevrolet 454 so the trip to Ford might not help! Actually the tube that enters the pan was broken off from the pan and would not allow dip stick to enter pan. I did obtain the joint that allows stick to enter pan and replaced it...what I didn't do is get a new tube, which I should do. The original tube was so bent and twisted that it makes it difficult for the dip stick to pass thru and enter the pan to do it's job. I got lazy once the oil leak was stopped --and if you start the dip stick just right and push with your fingers it will, with some difficulty, go into the pan and do it's job. I also was concerned with the accuracy of the measurement after the hamfisted disfigurement of the tube so I did an oil change and remarked the dipstick to indicate the proper oil level.

I was trying to point out the importance of the installation. Banks should have been more responsive to my plight as they sent me to this place to have their equipment installed on my motorhome. I do have a case of the red --- over the expense and quality of the installation! It also occurs to me that I should have investigated other alternatives to the Banks System.

There are many good exhaust headers on the market. There are a number of good free flowing mufflers. Pipe is pipe and a K&N air filter can be purchased at any auto parts store, or WalMart! Any legitimate muffler shop could do this work for a third of the cost. Banks is not the only solution to the search for economy and power. I should have been smarter but the broken exhaust manifold, on the road, clouded my judgement.

I have raced cars with SCCA and PCA for years so only have myself to blame! Alterations are best checked on a dynamometer...it doesn't lie or use seat of the pants calculations. I recently purchased a chip for my old Porsche from a company in England, we ran some base line dyno runs on the engine installed the chip re-run the dyno test and discovered I had spent $500 to gain 2 HP at 5700 RPM another brilliant move by "yours truly"!!

regards, rbzz :rolleyes:

rbzz,

Sorry about the Chev/Ford mix up; it is about as bad a reference as calling your Porsche a Volkswagen. Without the Banks engine chip and transmission chip, I feel about the same as you do and agree with most of what you have said.

Where abouts are you located? What model Porsche? I used to race (Autocross) my Porsche 1959 "A" Coupe while a member of the PCA - Golden Gate Chapter San Francisco. Dropped out of the Club in 1966 when my job was taking me throughout the US for months on end. The car was still Concourse show able (including original bumpers) and was the only one still around that had the factory chrome Knock-Off spinner hubs when I sold it in 1985. We had some great times in the car - selling brings back some terrible memories.

Richard

rbzz,

Sorry about the Chev/Ford mix up; it is about as bad a reference as calling your Porsche a Volkswagen. Without the Banks engine chip and transmission chip, I feel about the same as you do and agree with most of what you have said.

Where abouts are you located? What model Porsche? I used to race (Autocross) my Porsche 1959 "A" Coupe while a member of the PCA - Golden Gate Chapter San Francisco. Dropped out of the Club in 1966 when my job was taking me throughout the US for months on end. The car was still Concourse show able (including original bumpers) and was the only one still around that had the factory chrome Knock-Off spinner hubs when I sold it in 1985. We had some great times in the car - selling brings back some terrible memories.

Richard

Location is Kansas City, Mo. The current of three is a 944S2 which I have rebuilt. Engine, suspension, interior, paint, sparco seats, mono wheel, two sets of wheels, three times what it's worth!!! Have only tracked it at Hallett and Heartland Park. Bought it in 2002 in Clovis, NM and have put 9000 miles on the odometer over the last 7 years...very practical purchase! Porsche only produced this model in 1989, 1990,1991 with 2068 sent to the US...but it's still a water-cooled, red headed, stepchild of the family. Twenty years old, handles great, and still will run 149 mph, and I like looking at it. I still belong to the Porsche Club, but not very active socially, autocross / track days / a couple car shows...that's it. Everytime I get rid of one Porsche another seems to find me...I'm surprised you haven't recovered one! There are Porsches and then all other cars.