DJTNANG

Low Hot Water Pressure

I have good cold water pressure, but when I turn on just the hot water side it comes out hot and starts fine then gradually dwindles down to a slow trickle. Any suggestions?

2004 Winnebago Vectra

DJ

More info, when I open my kitchen sink, shower and bathroom sink on cold there is good pressure and the water pump kicks in. When I turn all faucets to hot only the pump does not run and the water drops to a trickle. The water is hot, just no pressure???

Is the winterizing valve all the way open?  Have you flushed the hot water tank?  Check the pipes for corrosion and blockage.

11 hours ago, DJTNANG said:

Where might the mixer valve be?

The mixing valve is mounted at or near the hot water tank. Depending on where your tank is located ,kind of makes to job easier or harder. You might want to visit the Winnebago pdf file web sight where you can enter the requested information and get the information.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram

Rich.

There is a backflow prevention valve in the water heater where the hot water exits the water heater.  Ours failed several years ago and the result was exactly what you describe.  The broken piece of the valve was stuck in the valve and blocked flow out of the water heater.  Ours was intermittent so we would get water sometimes and other times just a trickle.  The purpose of the valve is to allow winterizing the plumbing without having to fill the water heater with antifreeze.  The tech couldn't get the valve to unscrew from the water heater when we found the problem so he just removed the blocking piece and everything worked fine. We winterize our motor home by spending the winter in Edinburg, TX!  No need for antifreeze there!  Some time after we had the valve blockage removed, I rinsed the other working piece of the valve from inside the tank.  Years later a technician working on a leak removed the old valve shell with an impact wrench and installed a new one.  The first had plastic parts.  I couldn't believe that was installed in a water heater.  I made sure the replacement was all brass, inspected it myself. 

We have a 2002 Journey and had the same problem last year.  I'll spare the details, but we bought the coach second hand and I believe the original owner had never used the Winterizing bypass system.  We bought the rig in 2011 and never used the bypass either, until we had a new water pump installed near Dallas.  The tech couldn't get the new water pump primed so he asked me to turn on the winterize bypass valve.  The result was no water pressure on the hot side.  Eventually we got to an RV repair center in Elkhart, IN.  They removed the hot valve from the bypass and found that it was stuck in the closed position.  They removed it and bypassed the whole system.  Voila we now have hot water but can't use the bypass system.

I should mention that we tried various other tactics, but all failed.  I wrote about this in the forum last year and received a number of replies, none of which solved the problem.  Did this just happen all at once or over some period of time?  Have you used the bypass system recently?

Hope this helps.

Actionjackson

RESULTS!  After reading tons of RV forums it appeared that I had a bad check valve on the backside of my hot water heater.  I crawled under the coach and thank goodness Winnebago thought to put an 8x12 access panel under the coach.  I took it off and sure enough had access to the back of the hot water heater.  From there (after turning off the circuit breaker and ensuring the water pump was off) I drained the hot water heater and took the check valve off the back of the hot water heater.  got a new check valve at local cullem/maxey dealer (camping World did not have any in stock) and put it in. 

The job would have only taken about an hour, just took time running around finding the right part.

Thanks everyone for the input and help!!!

Don Johnson

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD

Back flow preventer on the hot water tank for sure. 

Same issue on a 2001 Suncruiser years ago.