mjlayton

Fridge Great On AC, Spotty On LP

I have a Dometic RM 7732 side-by-side. It cools & freezes great. Lately it has been troublesome on LP. It may run for days or weeks without problem, then it may be days before it will work on LP again.

I've checked all fuses, ground connections, wire terminals, thermocouple, venturi, and ignitor tip. If you unplug the AC plug on the outside and wait a few seconds, a relay will click on the PC board. I cannot hear the gas valve or spark ignitor do anything.

Where should I go from here?
Thanks,
Mike Layton

Mike, with the fridge running on AC and if it is at the required temperature setting - there is a good possibility that system will transfer to LP(the click you hear) but the system will not open the gas valve and call for ignition.

Has the LP portion of the refrigerator been serviced lately? They need to be cleaned carefully for time to time to remove the rust flakes and other dirt from around the bottom of the heat exchanger firebox.

Rich.

I wouldn't expect the gas to ignite immediately after unplugging the refrigerator.  If the refrigerator is cold, the gas won't ignite until there is a signal from the temperature sensor inside the refrigerator indicating the temperature is rising and cooling is needed.  Perhaps this is the link that is your problem.  If the sensor is the same one that feeds the AC side of the system then the sensor is working.  There could be separate sensors.  If the sensor is working then the connection to the control board may be corroded or loose.  If those possibilities are eliminated then it might be time to have the control board tested.  I would call and talk to the technical support staff at Dometic.

The fridge stopped working on LP and everything thawed out. I started the generator and it switched to AC and began cooling. Before it got cold I would unplug the AC cord at the service panel outside and listen for the gas valve and ignitor, only heard a relay click on the control board.

Thanks,

Mike Layton

I agree with Rich,  I have the same refrigeration and I have had the LP fail to ignite and it has always be corrected by removing the small cover around the burner and taking shop vacuum to clean rusty debris that shorts out the igniter.

Jim

Not uncommon for the igniter to fail also, just after the relay energizes you should hear a series of clicking which is the igniter sending power to the electrode. if you do not hear that check for power into the igniter, if you have power in but no spark its a good chance it has failed. Check after you have cleaned it all out with a vacuum.

I checked everything from a clogged roof vent, to rust on the burner, to poorly aligned thermocouple. Well I got tired of chasing phantoms and ordered a Dinosaur control board. It came today, pulled the old one, set & wired the new one. All the lights on the interior panel were correct, but nothing happened. Propped fridge door open & went outside, (plink) the 120v element came on and began to warm. I unplugged the 120v cord, click, clink, fump, & I had a gas burner going. let it burn while I put all the covers back on. Still burning after five minutes, plugged in the 120v & it switched over. Happy Day!!!!!

Thanks for all the input,

Mike Layton

32 minutes ago, mjlayton said:

I checked everything from a clogged roof vent, to rust on the burner, to poorly aligned thermocouple. Well I got tired of chasing phantoms and ordered a Dinosaur control board. It came today, pulled the old one, set & wired the new one. All the lights on the interior panel were correct, but nothing happened. Propped fridge door open & went outside, (plink) the 120v element came on and began to warm. I unplugged the 120v cord, click, clink, fump, & I had a gas burner going. let it burn while I put all the covers back on. Still burning after five minutes, plugged in the 120v & it switched over. Happy Day!!!!!

Thanks for all the input,

Mike Layton

Glad you got it fixed.

Bill