ksandbe

Taking MH into Canada

I'm planning on taking our MH into Canada this fall - crossing at Buffalo and traveling to Toronto and Montreal.  I'll cross back into New Hampshire.  I know about no firearms and have a passport.  Are there any other issues I need to be aware of before finalizing our travel plans?

There are some restrictions on fruits, vegetables and meats that you will need to check on. 

Jim

Here is the web link for Canada Border Services Agency.  There is information there to cover what you need to know. 

Once you are in Canada, you will want to know the regulations for returning to the US.  You will go through U.S. Customs as you return.  Here is the web link for U.S. Customs and Border Protection

We've enjoyed many trips to Canada and highly recommend crossing the border with as much information as you can.  Good preparation prevents many problems.  You will be asked about firearms and ammunition, both at home and any on-board (on-board must be none - penalties are severe - don't risk it),  There are limits on tobacco products and alcohol, make sure you are within the allowable limits for each.  Food restrictions apply and they change from time to time.  Review the website shortly before leaving. 

As mentioned, Canada requires brakes on your toad, no matter what it's weight.  I've never had them ask but they could.  If you had a accident, that would likely come up and be a problem if you aren't in compliance.

Enjoy your trip. 

You should get a Canadian proof of insurance card for your MH and tow from your insurance company.  If you or your spouse are on Medicare, you should know that it does not cover you in Canada.  For any prolonged stay I usually get a supplemental Canadian health insurance policy for the period of my stay.

For a 3 week stay, if our USAA insurance card on our MH be sufficient?   How much of our food in refrigerator should we worry about?

I have never heard of a Canadian Proof of Insurance.  Does that mean a Canadian Insurance Policy?  My policy states simply that No Coverage is provided in Mexico.  It makes no mention that I can find anywhere regarding Canada.  Nor can I find any requirement for a proof of insurance card for Canada.  I have searched the Canadian site referenced above and can find no mention of vehicle proof of insurance.  We have traveled extensively in Canada and if required, this is one that I missed.  Also, our Medicare (original Medicare) supplement does provide medical coverage for a period of 60 days when traveling outside the US.  Check with your Medicare policy.

Regarding food, the requirements change from time to time.  Consult the website referenced in my post above (May 26, 2016).  Generally there are only a few items that may be a problem. 

I just called my insurance company and they emailed me a card for Canada...said I didn't need it but makes it simpler.

Thanks for the Information on the card. I am going to contact our company and see if the have the same type of card for Canada.

Only been to one Canadian Providence, Newfoundland, and didn't need a passport or insurance. Uncle Sam was footing the bills then. 1956 through 1959.

Herman  

Family Motor Coaching magazine, January 2017 edition, has a great article covering the rules of entry into Canada. 

Page 84, Border Crossings. A great overview. 

If you have already tossed your copy, you can view the edition online still.

Any time if we are stopped by the police They ask for registration and proof of insurance.  Any US insurance company can give you a card just carry next to your registration. In Canada the insurance company automatically sends it to us when we pay our bill. 

RELATED QUESTION: I'm crossing in Canada for the first time in a few weeks. I have 2 mopeds in my toad (pickup truck). In my state, mopeds get license plates. Is Canada going to want to see insurance cards for the mopeds when they see they have plates? I'm not required to have insurance on them in my home state, and I don't. I don't even know if they check insurance cards at the border. Never been up there, and I can't seem to find the info online. Any help is appreciated.

According to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation:

Do mopeds need insurance in Ontario?

You must have the proper type of license plate attached to the rear of your motorcycle or moped, as well as valid vehicle registration. You must also have liability insurance. Carry your driver's license, vehicle registration and insurance card with you in case a police officer asks to see them. Sep 17, 2018

Motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds)

A moped has the following characteristics:

Weight of 55 kilograms or less, Attached motor driven by electricity or having a piston displacement of no more than 50 cubic centimeters, Pedals that are operable at all times and may be used to propel the moped, No hand- or foot-operated clutch or gearbox driven by the motor and transferring power to the driven wheel, Maximum speed of 50 km/h on level ground within 2 kilometers from a standing start

Under the Highway Traffic Act, mopeds are not considered motorcycles; however, mopeds require you to have the same types of riding skills as required for motorcycles, and you must hold a valid motorcycle class license (an M1, M2(L), M2, M(L) or M) in order to drive on Ontario’s public roads.  I would imagine that whatever valid motorcycle license you need in your state would be acceptable.

4 hours ago, IanBullock said:

Oh well. According to the info you provided, I can't take them since I don't have liability insurance, and my wife can't ride her's anyway because she doesn't have a motorcycle license.

In my home state, mopeds are registered, have a license plate and registration. However, a motorcycle driver's license is not required, and neither is liability insurance. 

Finally, yes, these are 49cc mopeds (by US definition) but not by Canadian definition since they don't have pedals. I haven't seen one of those in decades.

Wow. rethinking this whole trip. The list of things I can't take is getting longer, but it's your country, not mine. 

According to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation:

Do mopeds need insurance in Ontario?

You must have the proper type of license plate attached to the rear of your motorcycle or moped, as well as valid vehicle registration. You must also have liability insurance. Carry your driver's license, vehicle registration and insurance card with you in case a police officer asks to see them. Sep 17, 2018

Motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds)

A moped has the following characteristics:

Weight of 55 kilograms or less, Attached motor driven by electricity or having a piston displacement of no more than 50 cubic centimeters, Pedals that are operable at all times and may be used to propel the moped, No hand- or foot-operated clutch or gearbox driven by the motor and transferring power to the driven wheel, Maximum speed of 50 km/h on level ground within 2 kilometers from a standing start

Under the Highway Traffic Act, mopeds are not considered motorcycles; however, mopeds require you to have the same types of riding skills as required for motorcycles, and you must hold a valid motorcycle class license (an M1, M2(L), M2, M(L) or M) in order to drive on Ontario’s public roads.  I would imagine that whatever valid motorcycle license you need in your state would be acceptable.

On 8/3/2017 at 10:11 AM, IanBullock said:

Family Motor Coaching magazine, January 2017 edition, has a great article covering the rules of entry into Canada. 

Page 84, Border Crossings. A great overview. 

If you have already tossed your copy, you can view the edition online still.

I doubt 2017 information is valid today,  requirements seem to change annually. The best information source are the links to CA border crossing previously poste.