tricializ

Feeling Overwhelmed With All You Have to Know About RVs

I have had my MH for 11 years. When we first got it, I didn't think much about it. Took it on the road, had some fun, brought it back to the barn and that's it. Winterize it, keep your tire pressures stable and fix the little things as they came along. Now, we don't use it much and haven't for the past 5 years. Probably just once or twice a year for a weekend. I find that the less I use it, the more nervous I get at the thought of all that can go wrong.

We are getting new tires put on and just deciding that one has me (to quote my husband) anal about the whole thing. I'm nervous about backing it into a tight campground, nervous about tire blow outs and on and on. I don't know if I am just somehow old now or if ignorance was bliss. It seems like other people know so much about all technical things of their MH.

Do you all weigh the unit 4 corners every time you take it out?

I've only weighed mine (axle by axle) twice I think. 

We have a good time convincing each other about what we know about motorhomes. ? Tell us what you have and most will try to help you without confusing you. Things can get complicated sometimes , but not always. Go for it. Where do you enjoy traveling? What are you and your hubby driving? New tires coming up as you said, a working refrigerator , no water system problems, rooftop ac working, proper annual maintenance, no things that seem unusual as you ride down the road. The Wizards of smart will offer simple suggestions. It is still fun to RV.?

tricializ, Your thoughts and questions are expressed in different ways for every individual.

For myself most of the chooses have been curiosity driven, and never spend a lot of time anymore in regards to driving, tires or the need for general maintenance, because they are items that are governed by time, millage and the conditions of where one is traveling. So when a choice has been made. Items like what could happen have been considered and excepted as part of the journey. I know that if one lets fear become the top concern, one never really enjoys the marvels of what is around the next corner.

Rich. 

It's shame you're not using your motorhome more.  It might be time to make a decision about keeping it.  Leaving it set isn't all that good for it - or your ability to remember how to get it into a space and hook everything up.  If your lifestyle doesn't include RVing anymore, let it go.

We joined a local chapter of the Good Sam Club and go out once a month with them.  They're our extended family and we love getting together with them.  Using it once a month keeps it and me ready to go.  We're blessed to be able to get away for the winter in it to escape the cold, snowy midwest winters and love meeting new friends wherever we go.  That's the lifestyle we've chosen and we'll keep on with it as long as we're able.

Your mileage may be different.

I did not see your age  group, but as one grows older, it does seem to affect different people in many ways. I'm not referring necessarily to old age, but more about maturity. Our thought processes tend to change our habits, as well as our habits. The things we have learned our rv's pretty much remain the same although newer trchnology is always evolving. No very few of us weigh all four corners every time we go out, but that is something we need to know, so once you have done so, there is no need to do it very often, unless of course you are a rock collector like Lucy. LOL. But if you do a remodel or your RV, it might be time to do it again. If you are uncomfortable backing into a space, it is probably time to take a refresher course in how to handle these circumstances. But I certainly hope that if you enjoy the lifestyle, as my family has, this will not become a handicap. Incidently, welcome to the forum, let us know if we can answer any questions.

Kay

Tricializ,

I recently faced a similar decision in my life.  For almost 20 years I have flown airplanes.  I never owned one but rented them all over the US and flew in several foreign countries.  I love flying cross country flights and have had some really memorable experiences.  Our lifestyle has made it difficult to keep current with my flying and as I flew less and less, I felt less comfortable in the cockpit.  At that point I faced a decision.  Do I devote more time to flying or do I let this part of my life go.  I have decided to give up flying.  The fun I had at one time just isn't there any longer.  I was spending considerable sums on insurance and just flying a few hours to keep my currency.  I was no longer flying to interesting places on a regular basis.  So the costs of continuing versus my use finally pushed me to the decision to give it up. 

You mention the knowledge level of posters on the forum.  Do not let this intimidate you.  If you are interested in using your motor home more in the future, this is an excellent place to ask questions and to benefit from the knowledge.  When i began motor homing, I read everything I could, attended rallies and took classes and workshops to help me learn about the motor home and how to keep it in good condition.  Following posts on the forum is a way to increase your comfort level.  The other way is to use your motor home more often.  In your post regarding tires, you mention a trip to Disney in Florida.  A long trip like that will make you more comfortable with operation of your motor home and may be the stimulus you need to get the motor home out more often.  If on the other hand the trip causes more stress and concern on your part, you may want to reevaluate your decision ot keep the motor home.

I am guessing that you are still in the working phase of life.  Disney World sounds like a kid trip.  What a great kid trip.  If it works, there are so many other places to take the kids.  Start by taking some other trips to national and state parks.  Travel to places with interesting museums and zoos.  Use the motor home to expand your children's horizons.  If it is useful to you, the work and money you put in to keep it on the road will be worthwhile.

Regarding weighing the coach.  If you have axle weights, you can work with those.  You will need to make an allowance for the lack of specific knowledge of the weight of each wheel position.  You do that by putting more pressure in the tires than the manufacturers chart specifies.  The standard rule of thumb is add an additional 5% to the weight to allow for differences that may occur.  If you don't know individual wheel position weights, add an additional 10% to the weight when you look up the pressure on the manufacturers chart.  If you have an opportunity to get individual wheel position weights, take it and then you'll have a better idea of your coach weights.  Once you weigh your coach, if you don't make significant changes in the way you load the coach, where you put heavy things or how much material you take with you then there is no need to re-weigh.  If you begin taking longer trips and you start packing more clothes, a tool box, some bicycles on the rear ladder, more appliances, more food and other materials, then you should re-weigh the coach as you travel with it fully loaded, passengers, fuel, water, etc.

tybutler- I am facing the same decision you made about flying.  I'm 83 and about to give up flying because I don't enjoy it like I used to.  MY 172XP is up for sale, but haven't given up on RVing yet.

Two enjoyable answers. One lengthy and as usual, excellent from Tbutler. The second one, though much shorter, says a lot about RVing. We do it because we love it! 

Thank you all. I am 51 years old and it's not so much an age thing but just feeling more nervous about things. I don't know. I would like to do more RVing than I do, but my husband is somewhat disabled (and a bit older) and so anything that has to be done on the MH either has to be hired or I have to do it. He does drive it better than me though. ;)

We have one trip we take religiously to Notre Dame and even if that is the only time we use it in a year, it is worth it to me to keep. The family time is priceless. We have our own indoor storage so for now, keeping makes more sense. I am getting more confident the more I am in it getting it ready for my trip to Florida. I did add refrigerant to the dash air compressor and was proud I figured that out and also figured out that I think the compressor is leaking. The fact that I could find and identify the compressor is big in itself. The guy at the repair facility I took it to today (leaks are outside my pay grade LOL) asked how I knew that one hose was all covered in an oily substance under the coach. "Who diagnosed that?" Me: "Um, I did." He looked at me like I had two heads and then I said, "I climbed underneath to take a look". And the good thing is when I was under the motorhome, I found a fog light unplugged and the clip hanging. Connected that up and it works great. So it's baby steps and just jumping back in.

I am hoping this trip gets me feeling more confident. (and that nothing bad happens). Thanks again for the comments. 

Trish

Well Trish come on in, we all learn something everyday. Hope your trip is nice and relaxing. Keep in touch with here on the Forum and let us know how the trip was and if we can help in any way.

Herman

Well, unless you are an cross country truck driver or a farmer with big equipment, driving a motor home is new territory. I had driven trucks to 5 tons and semi cabs as a vehicle repairman in the Army and then did a few sprints in a 2.5 ton delivery truck but camping is something different especially after a 40 year lapse of driving anything bigger than a van or pickup.

Last fall went to a KOA in LR Ar. and could not believe how tight it was. Maybe an old campground, it was raining cats and dogs we were late, others took our site as the only one left was flooded, could barely cut the turn, a pull through with a $50+  fee had to unhook the toad to get in. So there are always things going on that are out of your control. One thing I feel is going on is a lot of fearmongering by people who would do most anything to sell you insurance. I know there are equipment failures, I know there are unscrupulous people that repair motor homes but there are unscrupulous people that repair everything.Many other repair shops are so friendly and helpful that it brings home the concept that people are people and will behave as they will. Some tire manufacturers are recanting their 7 year limit for tire lifespan, The original poster storing their coach indoors and using it infrequently would have a different tire condition to full timer out and about 365 days a year.

A willingness to learn can go a long way to avoiding the unforeseen. When that oil soaked AC hose would blow out if ever is not known but your inspection and corrective action has stopped what might have been a nuisance or if crossing Death Valley a problem. Look for the excellent video on U-Tube Produced by Lazy Days about parking your rig. Then follow through with the marks on the mirrors. There system works very well if implemented but it is so easy to watch the video and not do the rest. Count me guilty on the mirror marks, so simple but so easy to put off.

On June 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM, alltooledup said:

Well, unless you are an cross country truck driver or a farmer with big equipment, driving a motor home is new territory. I had driven trucks to 5 tons and semi cabs as a vehicle repairman in the Army and then did a few sprints in a 2.5 ton delivery truck but camping is something different especially after a 40 year lapse of driving anything bigger than a van or pickup.

Last fall went to a KOA in LR Ar. and could not believe how tight it was. Maybe an old campground, it was raining cats and dogs we were late, others took our site as the only one left was flooded, could barely cut the turn, a pull through with a $50+  fee had to unhook the toad to get in. So there are always things going on that are out of your control. One thing I feel is going on is a lot of fearmongering by people who would do most anything to sell you insurance. I know there are equipment failures, I know there are unscrupulous people that repair motor homes but there are unscrupulous people that repair everything.Many other repair shops are so friendly and helpful that it brings home the concept that people are people and will behave as they will. Some tire manufacturers are recanting their 7 year limit for tire lifespan, The original poster storing their coach indoors and using it infrequently would have a different tire condition to full timer out and about 365 days a year.

A willingness to learn can go a long way to avoiding the unforeseen. When that oil soaked AC hose would blow out if ever is not known but your inspection and corrective action has stopped what might have been a nuisance or if crossing Death Valley a problem. Look for the excellent video on U-Tube Produced by Lazy Days about parking your rig. Then follow through with the marks on the mirrors. There system works very well if implemented but it is so easy to watch the video and not do the rest. Count me guilty on the mirror marks, so simple but so easy to put off.

Thank you for your kind post. I have been getting lots of practice driving lately to the repair shop and for new tires. LOL I have roadside assistance and am not going to drive late into the night so that at least should I break down, it will be during the day since my husband won't be with me and only my 13 year old son will. So, I have had it PM'd, new tires, checked air and all fluids. I will weigh it next week once mostly loaded and then cross my fingers, say a prayer and deal with what comes my way. I did pretty well using the tape on the side (8 feet forward of rear axle) and backed in nice and straight. I worry more about the front clearing parked cars in opposite sites. But I will also watch that Lazy Days video and see what this mirror marking is all about. Thanks so much .

Trish

Tricializ:  Good for you on your exploring under the coach.  My wife does a lot of the same sort of thing and she will soon turn 69, so keep up the good work, and good luck with your RV'n.  I understand your situation, but the more you use it the more you will enjoy it.  Good luck going to Florida.

On June 6, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Cookie said:

Tricializ:  Good for you on your exploring under the coach.  My wife does a lot of the same sort of thing and she will soon turn 69, so keep up the good work, and good luck with your RV'n.  I understand your situation, but the more you use it the more you will enjoy it.  Good luck going to Florida.

Thank you. Honestly, I think I have too much time alone this week to think about all the things I should be checking. I have NEVER ever been this OCD and nervous and it makes me mad at myself. I have already thought about what I will do if I break down and it is  a serious issue. I guess I will rent a car, change the reservations at Disney to a cabin and take my trip, drive back and pick up the motorhome.  I like to walk myself off the ledge and back in from a worst-case scenario. Or I could break down in the middle of the Smokey Mountains like we did one year when it was myself, my mother and my kids. The golf cart trailer we had blew a tire, wrecked the trailer and we had to get it towed. That's when "Big Daddy's Fireworks, Liquor and Wrecking" picked up the trailer for us, found us a new trailer (couldn't get one that night because the mayor who sold the trailers would be drunk by that time of night) to buy and let us camp in the parking lot of the fireworks/liquor/towing store all night. Made us coffee in the morning, got the golf cart hooked up to the new trailer and off we went. I suppose if I could survive that, I can survive anything. LOL Anyway, thank you for the vote of confidence and way to go to your wife. :)

Trish, you sound just like me. I am always looking for that one thing that could break and leave me stuck. We tow a jeep behind us so I always think "if I breakdown the coach will be towed and hello Marriott!" My biggest fear is not being able to locate a repair facility that is capable of fixing it properly, then of course the cost. So far I have had two instances this year where I should have been on the side of the road but was able to recover my self and limp home.

being a mechanic I hate the thought of someone touching my coach especially after working with some real winners, I would probably interview the person before they would be allowed to touch it.

I can relate to your fears