chuckftboy

Route to West Springfield Convention

I would like to do the rally in August but I'm in Florida and don't want to go any where near Washington, Baltimore, New Jersey or N.Y city. So if I pick up 29 in Virginia and catch 81 to Schenectady, N.Y., I am thinking it would be an easy drive from there to Springfield. Anyone have thoughts on it? Is 81 a decent road?

8 hours ago, Chuckftboy said:

I would like to do the rally in August but I'm in Florida and don't want to go any where near Washington, Baltimore, New Jersey or N.Y city. So if I pick up 29 in Virginia and catch 81 to Schenectady, N.Y., I am thinking it would be an easy drive from there to Springfield. Anyone have thoughts on it? Is 81 a decent road?

I feel the same way about the Beltway and the Big Apple !!!!!

Chuck, Questions, What Rt are you thinking of taking North to pick up Rt 29 ?  Rt 29 to Rt 64 to the junction of Rt81 ?

Rt 81 is a good road driven it may times. You can take RT 81 North to Binghamton, NY, just North of Binghamton - Take Rt 88 to Schenectady, Good Road - Then RT 90 East to Springfield area. Rt 90 is a toll road. I stay away from them as much as possible also !

NOTE !  - Make sure you fallow the directions offered from FMCA Office !!! There are a number of narrow and one way streets - and some low bridges in the area. The Rt setup for the Rally by FMCA will have Police officers to help keep you on the easiest Roads. FMCA has mentioned not to use GPS systems to get to the Sight. Many of the streets are old and narrow - some turns are not possible in motorhomes and Low bridges can cause issues an the GPS Systems have no clue in many cases.

Rich.

Chuck if you take 95 to Fredricksburg Va. pick up rt17 to rt66 to 81, no big hills to contend with very easy and nice ride to 81.

1 hour ago, jergeod said:

Chuck if you take 95 to Fredricksburg Va. pick up rt17 to rt66 to 81, no big hills to contend with very easy and nice ride to 81.

jergeod, I know that Rt. well ! It is not as traffic free as it was a few years back ! You might have driven it more then we have recently. How is the traffic after the Morning rush ?

Rich.  

You might want to consider that once on Rt. 81 in PA. turn east on 78 to 287 north in NJ. This is about 10 miles from NY border. Stay heading to 87 north (toll) to Rt. 84 east to

Hartford and Rt. 91 north. Your about 20 miles south of Springfield at this point. NY toll roads are some of the most expensive in the nation, but your only on Rt. 87 for about 25 miles.

I just came back from a business trip to Maine, drove this route to avoid NYC

I-78e to I-287n to I-87n to I-84e to I-90n to I-495 around Boston, Springfield has an exit off of I495, I drove past it. A few tolls but the roads were not horrible, there are a few construction zones scattered around which might be a good thing as they were in the areas of the bumpy roads. 

We are headed to Maine/Mass in early July I will be traveling that route with our coach. 

I'm coming from Ohio. Was was planning on I80 to Scranton area where I will spend night, then I84 E to Hartford the I91 N to W Springfield.

Where do I find the FMCA route info with details around W Springfield?

I have 24' Class-C and only need 11'-2" clearance

My GPS map program gives

- From I-91 N, Take exit 3 in Mass. to the right onto US-5 N towards Rt-57/Columbus Ave/W. Springfield, then
- Take ramp to the right towards Rt-147 W/Agawam/W. Springfield, 1.71 mi,.

- Enter roundabout Roundabout, 811 ft,

- Take the 3rd right onto Memorial Ave, 587 ft,
- Turn left onto Circuit Ave, 0.78 mi, to  The Eastern States Ag & Ind Expo, 0.25 mi

After looking at it on the map, Springfield would be best to access as Rodger mentioned above I-84 to I-91 straight into Springfield.

5 hours ago, Tireman9 said:

The information is supposed to be in the attendees packet if you are having the information sent to your mail box. Now ! if one is on the road I'm hoping that anyone could download the information. Think I might just make a call to the home office and see if there is an option for the full timers or anyone on the road before driving to Springfield.

It is after 5:00 so think the call needs to be made tomorrow.

Rich.

We are heading out Monday morning and spending Tuesday at Mystic Seaport. We'll take 287N to 287E cross the Tappan Zee Bridge and on down to 95N. From Mystic we'll drive up early Wednesday to West Springfield.Seems to be a choice of CT 2 or CT 9 up to 91N. My question is which of these two are best? We are 12-6 high and will be towing our Jeep. The first part of the route, I've driven many times and know it is clear, it is the two state roads we are concerned about. Anyone with local knowledge?

thanks

According to CT DOT " CT Routes 2 and 9 have clearances above 13’-6” " so most folks should be good to go if they are on those routes.

So here is my next question. When we registered we did not realize that we'd be expected to show up a day in advance. I suppose I should have thought about how many people would be trying to park all at once, but that is past. We will be in Mystic Monday and Tuesday nights to see the Seaport. We have already paid for a site for Monday and Tuesday nights, there figuring on driving up early on Wednesday. My arrival package says I am to show up on Tuesday or risk having to sit in a holding area while waiting to park. My question is: I can't leave Mystic early enough to get to the gathering before 5PM. If I arrive say at 8pm, will I be able to pull into the holding area and get 'in-line' early on Wednesday? Or am I better off leaving VERY early on Wednesday to arrive by 9AM? and I suppose the last part would be just cancel the Mystic Seaport stop and lose a cancellation fee for my reservation at the CG?

Thanks

These are the directions I received in my registration packet.  The pdf files of the two pages are too big to post.

From Connecticut and Points South

Take I-91 north to Massachusetts.  Take Exit 3 to U.S Route 5 North/E. Columbus Ave./West Springfield.  Follow U.S Route 5 norht to Route 147 west (Memorial Ave.) On roundabout take the third exit onto Memorial Ave.

From Albany, NY, and Points West.

Take I-90 (Massachusetts Turnpike) east to Massachusetts.  Take Exit 4 to U.S. Route 5/Holyoke/Springfield.  After the toll booth take exit to U.S. 5 south/West Springfield. Follow U.S. 5 south to Route 147 west (Memorial Ave). Take first exit onto Memorial Ave.

From Boston and Points East

Take I-90 (Massachusetts Turnpike) west toward Springfield.  Take Exit 4 to U.S. Route 5/Holyoke/Springfield.  After the toll booth take exit to U.S. 5 south/West Springfield. Follow U.S. 5 south to Route 147 west (Memorial Ave). Take first exit onto Memorial Ave.

From Vermont and Points North.

Take I-91 south to Massachusetts. Take Exit 13B to U,S Route 5/South/West Springfield.  Follow U.S. 5 south to Route 147 west (Memorial Ave). Take first exit onto Memorial Ave.

NOTE: Although you may see shorter routes to the facility, the routes outlined here have been coordinated with local police ti provide for the safety of convention attendees and to minimize traffic tie-ups as much as possible.  Your cooperation is very important and is appreciated by everyone.

Living in CT and using your routes often, I would suggest 95 to Saybrook then up Rt9 (easy merge just over CT river bridge.)  No traffic on rt9 except at 8am rush in Middletown.  Rt 9 merges right into 91 north, It may be a few miles more but a much easier drive.

We are currently in Elizaville NY having just finished the full timers/military/elks rally. We will be going over to west Springfield from here in a week or so. We came here from Richmond va and went north on 95 to Fredericksburg and cut over on 17 to 81 and picked up 84 in Scranton and then the NY thruway to near here. It worked great. Wanted to avoid 95 north of Fredericksburg and all the big cities. 

On May 31, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Tireman9 said:

I'm coming from Ohio. Was was planning on I80 to Scranton area where I will spend night, then I84 E to Hartford the I91 N to W Springfield.

I have 24' Class-C and only need 11'-2" clearance

My GPS map program gives

- From I-91 N, Take exit 3 in Mass. to the right onto US-5 N towards Rt-57/Columbus Ave/W. Springfield, then
- Take ramp to the right towards Rt-147 W/Agawam/W. Springfield, 1.71 mi,.

- Enter roundabout Roundabout, 811 ft,

- Take the 3rd right onto Memorial Ave, 587 ft,
- Turn left onto Circuit Ave, 0.78 mi, to  The Eastern States Ag & Ind Expo, 0.25 mi

Here is a link to the directions into Springfield grounds.  http://www.fmca.com/conventions-64/west-springfield-2016/3912-directions-to-eastern-states-exposition-home-of-the-big-e.html

On 6/1/2016 at 9:27 PM, jimnorman said:

We are heading out Monday morning and spending Tuesday at Mystic Seaport. We'll take 287N to 287E cross the Tappan Zee Bridge and on down to 95N. From Mystic we'll drive up early Wednesday to West Springfield.Seems to be a choice of CT 2 or CT 9 up to 91N. My question is which of these two are best? We are 12-6 high and will be towing our Jeep. The first part of the route, I've driven many times and know it is clear, it is the two state roads we are concerned about. Anyone with local knowledge?

thanks

If you get here on or after your arrival date between 8-5 you will be parked on your spot.  After 5 come in gate 9 for the holding/staging area. Here's the directions from FMCA http://www.fmca.com/conventions-64/west-springfield-2016/3912-directions-to-eastern-states-exposition-home-of-the-big-e.html