tireman9

What Seminars To Attend At Springfield Convention?

Having been to a number of Family Reunion Conventions, I thought I might pass along a suggestion on what seminars to attend. With 100 seminars to choose from at West Springfield, making a selection can be daunting especially for a first timer but in my opinion you can make attending seminars both enjoyable and educational. Others will have some alternate suggestions but this would be my generic list.

Once I get the detail list of seminars and the schedule I would try and match my generic list to what is offered at this convention. Even if I had attended a similar seminar in the past I have found that there is always something new to be learned.  So in no particular order of priority:

1. First time attendee orientation. This gives you an overview of current FMCA member benefits

2. Chassis seminar (list various chassis i.e. Freightliner, Spartan, etc. If no seminar offered by a MFG then list the chassis specific FMCA Chapter seminars i.e. Bounder, Diesel club, Tiffin etc) might be a good bet for finding a support group when you have questions on your RV.

3. "Fire & Life Safety". I have attended this seminar a couple of times. It is entertaining and informative on the topic of personal safety when it comes to fire and RV ownership. Do you know how to get out your emergency Exit?

4. "RV Weight & Tire Safety" and/or "Tire Knowledge for RV owner", Ya this is a plug for a seminar I give on tire knowledge but if you can't attend my seminar then definitely put the Weight & Safety seminar on your must attend list.

5. "Ask the Experts" Always entertaining and informative. Even if you don't want to ask a question, you will learn some stuff.

6. Area Gatherings. Get to know fellow RV owners from your geographic area. Learn about upcoming area events.

7. "The RV Doctor's Top 10 RV Facts Of Life " by Gary Bunzer RV Doctor

The following seminars may or may not be offered at West Springfield. A non-product seminars with an emphasis on basic information that would be educational to first timers and good reminders to experienced RVers

8 "Water in to Waste out"  RV Plumbing an overview  (Winterizing, Sanitation, preventive maintenance) This info is many times covered in RV Doctor's seminars.

9. "The shocking story"  RV Electrics.  Shore power, Generators and RV electrical systems overview & preventive maintenance and how to decide if you can repair it yourself. I am not aware of any such current seminar but learning about RV electrics is a good thing.

10. RV driving, an introduction and refresher to RV life.  Topics to look for:   Driving a motorhome is not like driving a car.     Things to learn and Things to remember .  There is a special course on driving an RV. Completion might earn you an insurance discount.

As I said this is just my personal list.  What do you think?  Anyone want to start a Poll to help first timers develop their own list? Maybe another list for "refresher" seminars to attend.

I would second that list.  It isn't possible to attend all those in one National Convention so see what you can and then keep the list and keep checking them off until you have attended the whole list. 

An addition I would suggest the diesel engine seminar (for those so equipped or considering going diesel) with reps from each of the engine manufacturers.

There is a driving course dedicated to women that should be on their list.  Louise also likes to get the latest information on cooking in the motor home. 

The vendor service center is always on my list.  Make an appointment and get an expert to come to your motor home to identify and possibly fix your most irritating problem.

Everyone should peruse the entire program, there are always new presenter who have special expertise like that guy who showed up several years ago, Tireman!

Thanks for sharing your list.

I would add to Roger's list:

If a diesel engine, either the Caterpillar or Cummins Seminar

If handling or ride concerns, the Suspension/Coach Ride & Handling Seminar

Any of Gary Bunzer's seminars-- excellent