rvnit4now

Carpet Replacement

Our salesman at Lazy Days RV told us we could not replace our carpet with laminate be cause the slides would no longer work on our 2006 Fleetwood Excursion 39L.  Is this true?

44 minutes ago, rvnit4now said:

Our salesman at Lazy Days RV told us we could not replace our carpet with laminate be cause the slides would no longer work on our 2006 Fleetwood Excursion 39L.  Is this true?

Your salesman is wrong it can be done ok

I have a 2007 Fleetwood Providence and I also need to do something with the carpet and have been thinking of a laminate floor or something other than carpet. Please keep me posted.

We have a 2006 Fleetwood Expedition.  I have replaced the carpet with a marble dust and resin flooring product called Villa Stone 4 years ago.  The product was suggested by Habbagar Flooring in Decatur, Indiana.  They do the custom floors for Fleetwood where ceramic tile is not used.  This product is installed with outdoor carpet adhesive and grouted with a resin based grout.  Basically the installation is just like installing ceramic tile, but when done, the floor looks like ceramic time and weighs less than the carpet and pad that you take out.  It is about 1/8 inch thick.  Problems that you may find: 1. Hundreds of staples that must be removed. 2. Fleetwood used a pin to hold the plywood floor to the frame.  When the carpet and pad are removed, I had 5 of those I had to cut off with a grinding wheel, counter bored the floor, put in large fender washers and bolted down the floor.  Filled around the head with floor leveling patch available at big box stores then laid the new floor.  Altogether, it took me two weeks.  I did not tile the slide out.  Total cost was about $750.00.  We have been very satisfied.   I would do it again.

I would be shocked if the salesman knew about options you could select on a new coach let alone lending technical advice. My Friend just bought a Allegro Bus that had laminate flooring installed throughout, all carpet was removed.

Ross, please attach photos in the Gallery and let us know after you upload them, love to see this.

Engineered wood is a great product. You don't need any quarter round to cover the gaps against the walls or cabinets. You can add that to the slides, also

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking your salesman may have inaccurate information. We actually took out all carpet in our previous 40ft. Monaco Winsor and replaced all the flooring, including the flooring on the slide with an extra heavy duty wood looking laminate flooring - it was beautiful and we had no issues with the slide working. We worked with a carpet company that actually does this work for those who purchase motorhomes from the dealership near by. Good luck

2 hours ago, kmcabee1960 said:

We worked with a carpet company that actually does this work for those who purchase motorhomes from the dealership near by. Good luck

Where are you located?  Can you give us the name of the company and perhaps contact information.  We're very interested in replacing our flooring.  I want a nice professional job so would like to find a quality installer to do the job.

21 hours ago, rossboyer said:

I have replaced the carpet with a marble dust and resin flooring product called Villa Stone 4 years ago.  The product was suggested by Habbagar Flooring in Decatur, Indiana. 

I looked up the Villa Stone product and it looks like just what we are looking for.  The installation guide says "DO NOT install this product in recreational vehicles (Fifth Wheels, Motor Coaches, Trailers or Mobile Homes that will be transported). Only approved for permanent on site locations that will not be moved from one place to another."  I understand that most flooring manufacturers likely say the same thing about their product.  I assume that you have had no problems with the performance of the tile in the four years since you have installed it.  I looked up Habegger Flooring  and they look like a good choice for information.  They work with an installer in Elkhart so I think we'll be pursuing this.  Thanks for the tip.

Installed hardwood flooring in our Mountain Aire, slide still works just like it always has. The only difference is now with the slide out there is a small step from the coach floor to the slide, about a inch, but where it's located we really haven't noticed it.

Glad to see Ernie joining this thread.  He's the professional expert and has retrofitted countless coaches.

Blake

Sales people at dealerships should keep their views on sales- not on flooring. You can add wood on the slides, also.

H Erniee,

What would be good choices for the weather we get in Wisconsin? Ours needs to be done and we are looking for ideas. We do wish to avoid carpet and I do wonder if the slide will scratch laminate.

Thanks,

Bob

If the slide moves on top of the hard surface, you can get some LVT planks and lay them on the floor so the slide glides over them.

Every coach with slides operates differently. After all the flooring is removed, I lay a piece of new flooring on the main floor and retract the slide to see what is going to happen. Sometimes you have to use some lvt planks, sometimes you don't.

Erniee, I was wondering the same. Can't speak to the front slide but the rear has the bed on it. We have rollers built into stainless steel plates mounted to the floor, there are stainless plates on the opposing side of the bed frame that they ride on. Have you found that if common on one slide in the same coach the other is too?

Joe.  Lift up the carpet on your living room slide and use a flash light, I think you'll find that both are the same.  Also, is your 2 slides hydraulic or electric?  Hydraulic will lift up at an angle before leveling off and then come in flat.  I have both, the electric slides don't have much weight on them...LR is J sofa and dinette.  BR is a dresser and TV.

Carl

Carl, both are electric power gear rack and pinion type design, very simple. I will have to look and see. Our carpet isn't horrible but shows its age. I was considering some other options but the slide had me concerned. The carpet ends at the couch portion and runs all he way under the steering wheel which I hate, then switches to Ceramic tile in the kitchen area all the way back to the footing of the bed,which we love the look. DW loves the feel of carpet on her feet so it just might be carpet again. Not a battle I want to fight :(.

my kitchen and couch are on the front slide and it's only maybe 18" deep.

On driver side, mine is sofa, refer and kitchen..32" deep, same depth on PS.  Bed slide on DS is 32", dresser slide is 16".