Entry posted by Baystar57 · 10 hours ago

1 2 3 4 5
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
<button type="submit">Submit</button>

Can anyone recommend a tire insurance company that actually delivers on advertised promises in the event we should have a tire issue while traveling. This post was copied and pasted By Me from Blog Page to help get more responses .

Edited by royclem
Post clarification

There are several programs that will provide assistance if you have tire or other problems which could leave you stranded on the road or even in a campground.  Sort of like AAA for automobiles, they will deliver road service, fuel, jump start, towing if needed.  There are always terms and stipulations which should be read carefully.  As a rule they will pay for the service call, you pay for the tire repair or if needed a replacement (may be used or new) tire.  You aren't going to get service that will pay for everything, at least I know of none that provides for that.  I wouldn't be out on the road with a large vehicle like a motor home without such coverage.  I've had at least 6 times I've needed the service.  Twice it was engine problems, two times blown tires, two times stuck in the mud (campsite one time, FMCA rally the other).  Without the service you are paying for the tow and the service call but you also have to find the wrecker or tire repair service that can meet the needs of a large vehicle.  Having people on the line who have a network of repair services they can call on is invaluable.  Even today with the internet, I'd hate to have to go find the repair I need on my own.  How many calls do you want to make while sitting on the side of the road before you find someone to help?  It's never fun but they can make it easier.

FMCA has it's Roadside Assistance plan (see the banner at the top of the FMCA home page).  Good Sam also offers a similar service.  We have Coach Net which used to be the service provider for the FMCA Roadside Service.  I have had Good Sam and like Coach Net better.  I haven't used the current FMCA plan.  I'd bet they do an excellent job since they are vetted by FMCA.  Their prices are competitive with the other plans.  You may get a better introductory rate, you may be able to get a multi-year policy for slightly less than $109 per year but that is really a pretty good price considering what one tow truck call will cost you.

There may be other providers out there but these would be the "big three" that I know.

I have AAA RVplus, same company as the auto AAA, have had two experiences in a year, both were handled very professionally and quick, unlike Good Sam.

The only company I know of that sells tire insurance is Discount. When you buy a new tire, they give you lifetime rotation and balancing. They will offer you road hazard. It one time it was $11.00 per tire, not sure the cost now. One other thing they have is free flat repair no matter where the tire was purchased. I always purchase my tires there. I can take FMCA'S program prices in and they will match them. Unfortunately they don't do large truck or RV tires.

Herman 

Walmart will give you the same rotation/balancing and road hazard coverage on automobiles and small trucks.  I just had a flat repaired last week, no charge.  Tire prices are excellent and the warranty coverage was only $9 per tire.  I like Walmart because they are literally everywhere!  Most tire chains will offer the same coverage but their locations are a lot farther apart than Walmart!

I still have never heard of anyone offering insurance on RV size tires,19.5 or 22.5. The OP was looking for insurance that covered 100% of the cost of a flat. The only one I know of is called "self insurance":P.

Bill

20 hours ago, TBUTLER said:

Walmart will give you the same rotation/balancing and road hazard coverage on automobiles and small trucks.  I just had a flat repaired last week, no charge.  Tire prices are excellent and the warranty coverage was only $9 per tire.  I like Walmart because they are literally everywhere!  Most tire chains will offer the same coverage but their locations are a lot farther apart than Walmart!

I had Wally World fix a flat on the D/W's car last week, no road hazard insurance...$10.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:58 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I still have never heard of anyone offering insurance on RV size tires,19.5 or 22.5. The OP was looking for insurance that covered 100% of the cost of a flat. The only one I know of is called "self insurance":P.

Bill

Self insured here also.....low interest rate Credit card with a high credit limit and zero balance :lol:. I have one just for coach work/breakdowns. I look those tires over often and wrote the date codes by wheel position, first sign of a problem or they start to get to 7 yrs they go. so far My drives are at 3 steers just over 1.

Most of us seem to sweat tire failures, and I understand why, heck I do also. But how many have experienced a problem on the road and was that tire looked over for any signs of weakness or did some road object cause the failure.

Just curious how many that run a TPMS system, have had their tires inspected by a trained eye or amateur eye (if doing it yourself or by a mechanic) actually had a failure not caused by abuse, foreign object or degradation (AKA dry rot) (puncture etc.)?