HI,

I have my RV (I'm full time), car and small utility trailer through the FMCA insurance program here in Florida. Last year I removed one car and had two points removed from my license (2 left). I just received my new policy and the yearly increase in insurance is about $850.00! What gives? When I contacted the carrier I was told basically take it or leave it!      Note: this is same carrier that Camping World uses.                                           Any one have any better insurance plans that they know of?:angry:

I received the best deal on my Class C Winnebago Premier,,,my 2003 Ford Ranger and my 2015 Toyota through AARP's Hartford Ins at 

$2,014.00 per year,,, Hartford has a policy,,,, specific to motorhome's which I found very very good. 

We are using AARP Hartford for rig and towed as well.  Was more reasonable than other quotes when shopping Fall 2015.

As silly as it may sound for full timers, where you are licensing your motor home has a serious impact on your insurance rates.  This applies even if you spend little time in that area.  Things like the rate of vehicle theft, accident rates, vandalism, repair rates and other loss factors for the insurance industry in the area affect the underwriting formula used to set rates.

You might get much better rates if you were licensed in a different state or even if you had a different address within Florida.  We were full time, licensed in South Dakota for many years.  When we "moved" to Texas our rates went up,  

We have a mobile home now in Texas and our rates on the mobile home went up significantly last year.  Insurance rates are based on insurance company losses in the area where you are licensed.  If there was a hurricane or other natural disaster that hit the insurance companies in the area, they will raise rates in response to their losses.  We had significant storm damage to homes and cars in our area several years ago.  A large thunderstorm with significant large hail hit much of the city of McAllen, about 15 miles south of us and our rates have gone up, even if we didn't personally experience any damage. 

Tom.  I guess I'm still paying for IKE in Sept. of 08.  Even though my coach, at that time a W Tour 40' was in a barn in Gladewater, TX.  I just don't want to move out off Texas!  So, like you and a few other Texans on this Forum pay a higher premium...to keep mine as low as possible I have an umbrella coverage,

Carl

Just got a notice of insurance renewal for our Class A motorhome from FMCA Safeco.  Their new rate is almost double last years rate.  We have had no claims, accidents, tickets on the coach, any of our cars or homeowners polices as well.  Looks like they just low balled us to get us to switch to Safeco and now jacking up our rates once we left our previous company.  Guess this is Goodbye FMCA and Safeco.  And here is the really strange thing, I got an online quote from another Safeco agent for $458 per year less than the FMCA agent.  Go figure?

Dave H FMCA member F453200

15 hours ago, hogandlh said:

Just got a notice of insurance renewal for our Class A motorhome from FMCA Safeco.  Their new rate is almost double last years rate.  We have had no claims, accidents, tickets on the coach, any of our cars or homeowners polices as well.  Looks like they just low balled us to get us to switch to Safeco and now jacking up our rates once we left our previous company.  Guess this is Goodbye FMCA and Safeco.  And here is the really strange thing, I got an online quote from another Safeco agent for $458 per year less than the FMCA agent.  Go figure?

Dave H FMCA member F453200

So, you are going to quit FMCA just because you got a high quote for insurance? I don't think you got "low balled", it's just the insurance game the companies play. Everyone should shop insurance every 5 years just to see what the market is doing.