Sign in to follow this  
Vegasmailman

Pet Separation Anxiety

Just recently obtained a 7 month yorkie who whims when no one is within her sight.  She will continuously do it without a break.  We try to ignore her but definitely not getting much sleep with her shimming all night.  We want to travel with her in RV but really fearful how she act when we out or something.  I would be concerned the noise on fellow campers.  Has anyone encountered this problem and figured out how to correct it.  Would really like help on this one.  Thanks

We have four Yorkies, they keep each other busy enough that they don't have time to whine. But the first one who lived with only Mama and I, used to whine even when we went to bed, we finally learned that if we would put our dirty clothes in a short hamper, then showed him that was where he was supposed to stay when we were not present, he grew accustomed to the routine and continued doing so till his death. We have one now that has a cuddly dog toy that he sleeps with, he actually puts this toy to bed at night including covering it up with an old towel that we supply. Also if you look up antibark devices on the internet, there is available devices that detect barking and loud whining, not shock collars but audible devices that actually produce a sub-sonic sound, humans cannot hear it but the dog can is very annoying to the dogs ears. This device can be helpful in deterring the whine and barks. If she is not crate trained yet, that is a must, be sure to find something to put in with her that makes her feel comfortable, lightly worn clothing as mentioned above would my first trial. Good luck with your Yorkie, they are loving pets.

Have learned since the first reply, there is also antibark collar that uses a scented spray that the dogs do not like that is more recommended over the audible ones.

I am happy to report she is doing much better.  I think it just took time to get over her anxiety. She still at times will bark but if you stare her down she does just fine.  Looking forward to our trip with her

Consider what is called a "Thunder Jacket," and can be use for anxiety also.  It snuggles them and calms them down.